Set up MailWizz on my shared server

Eric Bobrow

I recently purchased MailWizz for my client and need to get this set up and running. While I am an experienced web developer, I don't have time to learn all of the details of getting this going.

The client has a basic, budget hosting account; this is not a dedicated server.

I'd like to hire someone to do this for me ASAP.

Please reply with contact details (email or Skype) and a brief summary of your experience with MailWizz setup.

Not sure if the Shared Hosting environment is suitable though, since some PHP functions are limited for security reasons on almost any shared server.

We can check first all require module are installed or not.

Generally it's installed but some hosting company may not have.

Thank you Vpul!

use the mwz requirements checker, which also comes up in the first install steps, and you will see if all necessary modules are installed

the other thing that may be a problem on shared hosts is their usual block of third party smtp, but you can use the web api in most such cases

if for any reason you need another host, the 3rd party section of the forum has a thread on reliable hosts ;)

I read through some of the threads on the 3rd party section of the forum, and have some concerns about moving forward with installation and usage of MailWizz. My client is a professional involved in a specialized field of social work, is published and highly regarded. He has started to develop and sell online training courses for social workers - I've been working closely with him to set up his websites and teach him how to record and post his videos.

He has a list of about 10,000 emails that he has collected from various associations in his field over the past few years, and has been mailing these contacts a few times a year with announcements about his field, conferences, etc. He has done it through Outlook, believe it or not, 100 contacts at a time (it takes him a while to send out an email to everyone). He's removed anyone who complained about the emails, which is apparently rare.

So his list is not permission-based, however it has been seasoned and should have low spam complaints (as long as he doesn't overdo it). However, given his list size, it would be costly to run through a traditional commercial service provider like Active Campaign or Mail Chimp etc., even if he's only mailing out once or a few times in a month. In addition, since his list is not permission-based, this would be an issue with traditional service providers. That's why I researched and purchased MailWizz.

I had thought that if we installed it on his current web host, that we could send out these emails a few times each month at very low cost, and of course, much easier than sending manually through Outlook (with good list management tools and a good email builder).

I have used Amazon SES for transactional emails for some of my own websites, not for bulk emails; I had thought that if there were any problems with sending out directly from the shared hosting that I would switch to SES. However in that thread, it sounded like SES has poor deliverability.

I am open to any advice from experienced members here regarding my situation. I want to be careful and move forward with something that will give a good experience for my client.

Hi Eric

You can use Elastic mail which give monthly 25 k emails free.

Sparkpost also you can use.

And use all with api, so your hosting provider don't have issue with that.

I read through some of the threads on the 3rd party section of the forum, and have some concerns about moving forward with installation and usage of MailWizz. My client is a professional involved in a specialized field of social work, is published and highly regarded. He has started to develop and sell online training courses for social workers - I've been working closely with him to set up his websites and teach him how to record and post his videos.

He has a list of about 10,000 emails that he has collected from various associations in his field over the past few years, and has been mailing these contacts a few times a year with announcements about his field, conferences, etc. He has done it through Outlook, believe it or not, 100 contacts at a time (it takes him a while to send out an email to everyone). He's removed anyone who complained about the emails, which is apparently rare.

So his list is not permission-based, however it has been seasoned and should have low spam complaints (as long as he doesn't overdo it). However, given his list size, it would be costly to run through a traditional commercial service provider like Active Campaign or Mail Chimp etc., even if he's only mailing out once or a few times in a month. In addition, since his list is not permission-based, this would be an issue with traditional service providers. That's why I researched and purchased MailWizz.

I had thought that if we installed it on his current web host, that we could send out these emails a few times each month at very low cost, and of course, much easier than sending manually through Outlook (with good list management tools and a good email builder).

I have used Amazon SES for transactional emails for some of my own websites, not for bulk emails; I had thought that if there were any problems with sending out directly from the shared hosting that I would switch to SES. However in that thread, it sounded like SES has poor deliverability.

I am open to any advice from experienced members here regarding my situation. I want to be careful and move forward with something that will give a good experience for my client.

the 10k list will be fine to import into mwz and then mail to
(various ways can help confirm such a seasoned list, like profile updates, surveys, etc...over time making it a confirmed list)

some traditional ESPs are now more relaxed about imports (and his list would most likely be passed-into)
(but freedom, control & cost with mwz are much better)

re ses deliverability, if everything is setup properly (domains, spf, dkim), it should inbox fine
(you can also use other providers with free monthly volume, see the 3rd party section here)

it cannot hurt to test a few delivery servers sending a few hundred emails each and compare inboxing

keep refining/asking ;)

Last edited:
Back