1 delivery server for each sending identity versus 1 server for all (+ overwrite from at campaign level) ?

Hello guys,

I have a pretty generic "organisational" question :

I will use amazon SES for various identities :

john@abc.com
danny@xyz.com
jeremy@123.net
...etc

In the past I only used 1 customer and created ONE delivery server FOR EACH identity, and selected that delivery server at the campaign level.

Now I realized that I can "overwrite" the from email at the campaign level... so in theory I could have just ONE DELIVERY SERVER :

some_SES_verified_sender@domain.com

And then use that Delivery Server for all campaigns, and just overwrite the sender "from" email at the campaign level by using john@abc.com, danny@xyz.com, jeremy@123.net

What are the PROs and CONs of using a SINGLE delivery server and overwriting the from at the campaign level ?

Thanks a lot,

What are the PROs and CONs of using a SINGLE delivery server and overwriting the from at the campaign level ?

Hi

Be aware that I am not support. I am a simple user like yourself. :)

I use mailwizz in a similar way to yourself. I am the only user. I own several websites and I use mailwizz to send newsletters from all of my sites. I have been researching the same thing as you in terms of "organisation".

The main downside of using a SINGLE delivery server is that you can then only have a SINGLE custom tracking domain. That is because the custom tracking domain is configured at delivery server level. If you don't care about custom tracking or if you want to use a generic custom tracking domain that looks ok with all your sending domains, then that wouldn't be an issue for you. However, reading your other thread, I think you have custom tracking domains for each of your sending domains, so that would no longer be possible if you had one single delivery server.

I think you'd be best having a delivery server per sending domain with the relevant tracking domain setup. That is how I intend to do it.

I'd also be interested in hearing from support about any other pros and cons of using a single vs several delivery servers and for other possible ways of configuring mailwizz to meet our needs. :)

Good catch, I didn't spot the tracking domain issue !!

TBH the thing is : it quickly becomes quite a nightmare to find the right checkbox corresponding to the correct delivery server(s) in the campaign settings, that's why I was looking at a better way.

I'm not even sure what happens if I don't check any box...is the system clever enough to say "Oh, the from email for this campaign is john@abc.com so I'll only use the delivery servers for which john@abc.com is configured as the from address" ?

Because let's say you have 20 sending identities and you use 3 different ESPs for each identity, you end up with 60 delivery servers !!

TBH the thing is : it quickly becomes quite a nightmare to find the right checkbox corresponding to the correct delivery server(s) in the campaign settings, that's why I was looking at a better way.

I intend to start the name of each delivery server as the sending domain to hopefully make it easier to select the right one.

An alternative configuration (which I am also contemplating) is to set up each sending domain as a separate "customer". You then setup each customer with a single delivery server with the relevant tracking domain. The advantage is that the campaign level would be simple and transparent - Nothing to select. - The downside of course would be having to login and out all the time between "customers".

I'm not even sure what happens if I don't check any box...is the system clever enough to say "Oh, the from email for this campaign is john@abc.com so I'll only use the delivery servers for which john@abc.com is configured as the from address" ?

I am not sure. I am guessing that the system doesn't do that check.

I agree it would be good if the tracking domain was in some way attached to the "from email" - It'd also be good if the "from email" field was a dropdown box that contains only previously entered and configured "from emails" and they are the only ones that can be selected. That would help prevent typos and other mistakes. By default, nothing would be selected (and the form would give an error) which would remind you to select one of the "from emails" and then that would populate the "tracking domain".

Because let's say you have 20 sending identities and you use 3 different ESPs for each identity, you end up with 60 delivery servers !!

I use Amazon SES as my ESP and I have been approved for 50k daily emails which is more than enough for me so I only use that one ESP.

In my case using multiple customer accounts is quite a no-go : I use quite a ton of custom list fields and would have to recreate them on all accounts.

Yep naming the Delivery Server is a practical solution.

I'll ask the support to answer whether or not the system is clever enough to use only the Delivery Servers for which the "from" of the campaign has been configured as the default "from" of the Delivery Server.

Question for the support :

Let's say in 1 customer account we have following Delivery Servers configured :

Mailgun : default from tim@1234.com
Amazon SES : default from john@abc.com
Sendgrid : default from john@abc.com
MailJet : default from theresa@xyz.net

If I create a campaign with the from address being john@abc.com and I DO NOT check any precise delivery server during the campaign setup (i.e. I DO NOT open the campaign's "Show more options > Campaign Delivery Servers") : what will the system do ?

Will it be clever enough to choose between only Amazon SES and Sendgrid (which are the only delivery servers configured to accept john@abc.com as sending email) ?

Will it be clever enough to choose between only Amazon SES and Sendgrid (which are the only delivery servers configured to accept john@abc.com as sending email) ?
If this option: Show more options > Campaign Delivery Servers is omitted then mailwizz will send using all available delivery servers.

OK and to add to that (from the answer I got the support) : MW won't check that the DS is configured to accept the "from" address in the campaign.

So I guess, from what @laurentiu just said, that MW could potentially try to use DS that are not configured for the campaign's "from" email.

OK and to add to that (from the answer I got the support) : MW won't check that the DS is configured to accept the "from" address in the campaign.

So I guess, from what @laurentiu just said, that MW could potentially try to use DS that are not configured for the campaign's "from" email.

Thanks for the info.

I suppose a solution would be to set the "Force FROM" field to "Never" in each delivery server. That would allow you to override the "FROM email" at campaign level.

I use Amazon SES, so if I did that, I would then have to be very careful that the email I put as the "From email" at campaign level. - I mean it must be an email address that is verified by Amazon.

(@laurentiu do you confirm ?)

I suppose a solution would be to set the "Force FROM" field to "Never" in each delivery server. That would allow you to override the "FROM email" at campaign level.
That's true.

I use Amazon SES, so if I did that, I would then have to be very careful that the email I put as the "From email" at campaign level. - I mean it must be an email address that is verified by Amazon.
That is true.

Back