What's this frontend business?

Chris Falkenstein

Hi all, I'm slowly trying to learn the ins and out of MailWizz. Admittedly it's a bit rough when there really isn't ample documentation and response times here are kinda slow. Okay anyway...

So what is the frontend of MailWizz? I installed MailWizz on a subdomain thinking MailWizz is solely the app, but I'm starting to think it's also providing some theme for a public facing site - you know - the site that promotes and attempts to get folks to signup, etc.

Someone set me straight please.

So if that's correct - if MailWizz includes some public website - It's probably more appropriate to install MailWizz right in the "public_html" folder. Right?

@Chris Falkenstein - Initially, my thought was that mailwizz would be installed in a subdomain such as app.domain.com and in the main domain, you can create your website as you wish, using wordpress, or any other cms you are familiar with.

However, i listen to people voice and next version comes with a landing page, see this:
Screenshot 2018-05-14 18.13.08.png
Screenshot 2018-05-14 18.13.38.png
Screenshot 2018-05-14 18.14.10.png
Screenshot 2018-05-14 18.14.31.png

Is not much, i know. But still, it's a starting point. And who does not like it, can disable it and use a paid landing page.

P.S: Sorry if you feel our support is slow, we do our best to please everyone.

I understand providing support and detailed docs are immensely time consuming and I don't expect you have a huge team of folks there so no worries. I'm just filled with tons of question and I feel it'll be a while before I get a good grip on all this. Clearly you're putting a great deal of time and effort into the most important aspect of the project, MailWizz itself.

Okay so although you intend to include the landing page in the next version presently we're responsible for the frontend/landing page. I'm a frontend guy so I'm happy create my own custom frontend, but it's a great option for those that need a slick landing page.

With that in mind I see now that I should have installed this in the 'public_html' folder instead of 'public_html/app'. Hmmm... What if I move all files over to 'public_html'. Will that just bust everything? I can take risks here. I have no customers, etc. Maybe I move it and adjust some config file? Please advise.

Thanks for that resource.

So if there's no frontend/landing page currently in MW why is there a 'frontend' folder. What's that for? I suppose those folders (api, backend, customer, and frontend) are there as locations to various sections of MW. It looks like they just redirect the visitor, but why does the 'frontend' folder have a 'assets' and 'theme' folder? When would the files within those be used? Can't I just remove those from the 'fronend' folder if I intend to create my own frontend/landing page?

Last edited:
@Chris B - pages like list subscribe, unsubscribe, etc will use the frontend. So you cannot remove that. We were missing just the landing page, but we have it now ;)

Gotcha. Can you point me in the right direct for creating my very own landing page(s)? I will not be interested in using Bootstrap or any current dependencies. Does this need to all be placed in the 'frontend' folder? Do I need to create some custom theme that limits me to some specific strangeness?

I'll later probably need to figure out how to create a signup form using the API I suppose.

Okay so after looking over the existing theme I'm not interested in figuring out Yii and creating a front-end like that. I will take my original route, keep WZ on a separate folder and create a subdomain. I'll build the public site with the tools I know.

With that in mind can I use the API to register users via my own PHP/HTML form? Are there and resources on how that can be achieved?

Okay so after looking over the existing theme I'm not interested in figuring out Yii and creating a front-end like that. I will take my original route, keep WZ on a separate folder and create a subdomain. I'll build the public site with the tools I know.
Yup, you can totally do that.

With that in mind can I use the API to register users via my own PHP/HTML form? Are there and resources on how that can be achieved?
Sure you can , here's the API example to do so: https://github.com/twisted1919/mailwizz-php-sdk/blob/master/examples/customers.php

I like the new landing page (screenshots above) of mailwizz but was wondering how to change that page. Where do I find the text/layout for it. Also, I found the pages for privacy and terms and conditions but not for “block my email“. I would need to translate them (and also the contents of the landing page.
Thanks!

@Manav - To modify header or footer you need to edit apps/frontend/views/layouts/main.php but when you make update all changes will be overwrite.

Back