What tracking and sending domains actually are?

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
TRACKING DOMAINS:
If you have mailwizz installed on email.a.com and you send campaigns, all your url links will start with http://email.a.com and this is fine for most of the cases, but what if you want to handle emailing for b.com domain?
In this case, you will have to either install mailwizz in a subdomain for b.com domain like email.b.com or you can still use the install from email.a.com but use a tracking domain for b.com domain.
A tracking domain is simply a CNAME(DNS Record).
In our case, we define a cname for b.com domain, namely email.b.com that will point to email.a.com subdomain.
Once we do this, propagation can take up to 48 hours, so after 48 hours, we can go in the backend of mailwizz website and add a new tracking domain, the email.b.com domain. Once we did this, to check if everything works properly, we have to access http://email.b.com and we should get same page that we get when accesing http://email.a.com. If it's not showing same page, then you don't use a dedicated ip address for a.com domain and you should.
Now, our tracking domain is in place, all we have to do si to associate it with a delivery server and all emails that will be sent via that delivery server will change all the links from email.a.com into email.b.com.

SENDING DOMAINS:
You should use sending domains only if your delivery servers do not sign your emails with DKIM, because the only purpose of sending domains is to identify the domain from the "FROM" or "Return-Path" of your headers and generate a dkim signature for them.
Like in the above case, if your domain is b.com and you send emails from contact@b.com, then you can add a sending domain (b.com) for which mailwizz will generate the dkim records (you have to add the public key into your dns records, as a TXT record).
Once the domain is confirmed, each time when mailwizz finds an email that contains the domain b.com in it's FROM/Return-Path headers it will append the right DKIM signature.

@twisted1919 in my case, I´m realizing I made a mistake. I verified my sending domain in elasticemail and added their DKIM and SPF records. But I also added the sending domain to mailwizz and added mailwizz DKIM and SPF records.

I see my previously sent emails have 2 DKIM mentions in their source code. They were delivered fine, but could this affect my emails deliverability? or is just fine?

I want to set up a tracking domain and I am a bit confused. Mailwizz is on a subdomain "newsletter.pantka.net", should the dedicated IP be for the domain "pantika.net" or only the subdomain "newsletter.pantka.net"?

Also, I am with an ip ending with 160 and the ip I could use for Mailwizz ends with 161. Will that work?

Thanks.

I have the same question. I'm on a shared hosting. I can request a dedicated IP but it would set the same IP for all my own domains.

Even my MailWizz is installed in a Subdomain like app.mydomain.com

Will it work on a shared hosting or I need to move everything on a VPS and point app.mydomain.com to that unique IP?

I have finally installed MailWizz on a brand new domain... $10 and a separate cPanel is much better.
I found it a bit messy to use a sub-domain.
I have had a VPS for several years and it is more flexible and better than a share hosting for sure.
I installed MW on one IP and all my domains are on 3 other IPs.

Also I don't think you can have the domain on one IP and the sub-domain on another...

I can let you know what company I use if you wish.

Please allow us to force the tracking domain via the backend.

We use dedicated servers with multiple ip's and would prefer to use the tracking domain via its own dedicated IP (a record), currently the system forces one to use the tracking domain via the ip of mailwizz (cname).

ie, we need this:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx => mailwizz
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy => tracking domain

currently it only allows
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx => mailwizz and tracking domain

I
Also I don't think you can have the domain on one IP and the sub-domain on another...

Sure you can. You simply use a different server then using DNS record A you set the IP to the new server.
I believe this is a much flexible solution then having MailWizz (or any other crucial script) installed i a subdirectory.

II can let you know what company I use if you wish.

You read my mind! :D Me next question was about the best VPS services for MailWizz. I'm in love with DigitalOcean (affiliate link) and RamNode. Which one do you use?

Last edited:
@SQLIK - Backend > Settings > System urls and set the protocol to http and you should be fine. if the protocol is set to https then you need an ssl certificate for each hostname which is not that good ;)

@twisted1919 Suppose if the delivery servers are locked and customers can add tracking domains from their dashboard, then is there a way they can replace the URLs in a campaign with tracking domain(s) without needing to attach those to a delivery server ? Because, in a shared delivery server system, it's not possible to attach multiple domains to a single server. Also, if a customer has multiple tracking domains, they will have to change the coupling every time they want to change the tracking domain. Most importantly, admin will have to unlock the server for enabling users to use their tracking domains, and this is something impossible for an ESP. I don't see a reason why it should be associated with a delivery server, or is there any ;) ?

is there a way they can replace the URLs in a campaign with tracking domain(s) without needing to attach those to a delivery server ?
I suppose so, i have never tried, but as long as the tracking domain is all setup and works and the links in the email point to it, then it should work.
I don't see a reason why it should be associated with a delivery server, or is there any
The reason is mostly for the inner workings of the app, or better say, it is because of the way the app used to work, but things changed a lot since the tracking domains were added, and i guess, we can even make the tracking domains specific to campaigns, is this what you are after?

It will be good,
If tracking domain can be randomly assigned to randomly campaigns, without any delivery server
it will help in non blacklist of domain name as a link in gmail or with other mail client

we can even make the tracking domains specific to campaigns, is this what you are after?

That would be the exact case. So customers can choose them randomly for any campaign. No hassle of dealing with the delivery server every time. If you could do that, that would be great :)

Back