Recommendations for an SMTP software

mailmole

Hi everyone!

We want to use our own mailserver to send emails via Mailwizz.

We started with Zimbra but we've had 2 of our servers crash over just a few weeks. There were some issues with the configuration of the software. Following Zimbra's suggestions, we did not install firewall which left our servers vulnerable for attacks and hijacking.

We may start a new Zimbra mailserver with the firewall on. But, we also want to hedge the risk of having it crash again by setting up another mailserver with a different software. Does anyone have recommendations for an alternative SMTP solution that we could add to the test?

We also looked into PMTA but it's outside of our budget at the moment. Other option is Socket Lab's Hurricane but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Mail-in-a-Box. By far the best option here. It handles DNS, DKIM, SPF, DANE, DMARC, and everything else automatically. It also supports DNSSEC. Best yet, it generates SSL certs from Lets Encrypt automatically too.

https://mailinabox.email

You can run it on a 1gig of ram 20gig of SDD droplet at Digital Ocean. Install time is about 30 minutes. I use this for 2 separate servers. It runs on Ubuntu and its install and upgrade procedures are as easy as running one script from their server.

As an added bonus you get a Nextcloud setup with shared calendars and a dropbox alternative. The dropbox alternative (just called Nextcloud) has Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android apps.

Mail-in-a-Box. By far the best option here. It handles DNS, DKIM, SPF, DANE, DMARC, and everything else automatically. It also supports DNSSEC. Best yet, it generates SSL certs from Lets Encrypt automatically too.

https://mailinabox.email

You can run it on a 1gig of ram 20gig of SDD droplet at Digital Ocean. Install time is about 30 minutes. I use this for 2 separate servers. It runs on Ubuntu and its install and upgrade procedures are as easy as running one script from their server.

As an added bonus you get a Nextcloud setup with shared calendars and a dropbox alternative. The dropbox alternative (just called Nextcloud) has Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android apps.
As an alternative to iRedMail, pretty good, and free.
But as an MTA, hardly comparable to any of the good ones.

As an alternative to iRedMail, pretty good, and free.
But as an MTA, hardly comparable to any of the good ones.

Why is that? I'd love to understand that better. I am relatively new to this level of emailing. But my mail-in-a-box can easily do 250k-300k/hr without me tuning it at all, just default.

Why is that?
It seems to be more a consumer/individual inbox handling package, not a bulk sending solution.

my mail-in-a-box can easily do 250k-300k/hr without me tuning it at all, just default.
Is that to one ISP (e.g. gmail or yahoo or msft or aol) with IP rotation
or
coming from one IP and distributed to a large number of varying recipient servers (e.g. GI)?

It is definitely geared towards the person that just wants to run their own mail server instead of having a gmail, yahoo or other account. You are correct there.

On the servers, the latter, large number of recipient servers.

Then the 300k/hr might work for a while...

Dude, I have literally no idea what I am doing :)

We have started a non-profit and need to start reaching out to a specific group of people. I have those lists and so I grabbed Mailwizz to get moving. I am fully expecting that a crash-and-burn, then rebuild by paying one of you is a real possibility here. But since I have been running Linux servers and simple setups with postfix/exim/dovecot/sendmail and 20 others since the early 90s I at least wanted to try it myself first.

That may help a lot shielding you from complaints ;)

Nice one. Trial and error teaches a lot.
Back then you could open the floodgates just like that!
Which other 20?

Just about everything in the 90s and exchange of course. The worst was working on a couple of networks still existing on Novell NetWare 3.12 long after 4.x had come out. Running Mercury server and Pegasus clients on that network was less than fun.

Back