powermta bounce-processor

d3m0n

Hello,

hope everybody is safe.
we have started using the new powermta 5.0 feature to process the boucne and feedback over webhooks
and i was hoping some of the fellow mailwizz users that also use powermta as a sending server could help me understand how to correctly use the new webhook option together with mailwizz , because something tells me we are not doing something right.

with new PMTA directive all bounce , remote bounce and feedbacks that are stored in the logs are pushed to the remote webhook

Code:
<acct-file /var/log/pmta/webhook1.json>
    http-webhook-url https://abc.com/webhook1
    records b,d,rb,f
</acct-file>

and all is working fine , except there are 40-60% of bounces that are being sent to FROM MAIL address and that are not shown in the bounce log of powermta there for not processed via webhook and not shown in the bounce stat

back in the days when we did't use the the new webhook option we used this bounce processor directive to get the bounced and process it

Code:
<bounce-processor>
deliver-unmatched-email yes # default: no
deliver-matched-email yes # default: no
<address-list>
domain abc.com # whole domain
address /bounce@abc.com/ #regex
</address-list>
</bounce-processor>

<domain abc.com>
smtp-hosts [1.2.3.8]:25
</domain>

the question , how to correctly configure PMTA to collect all the bounces to bounce log files and not send half of them to the FROM MAIL but to push them via webhook option?

any advices are highly appreciated

Last edited:
so there is no need to create a bounce server for pmta-smtp ?

the problem is there are two types of bounces:

A: Bounces generated at transaction level:
-----------------------------------------
Some bounces are generated instantly like: mailbox not found etc, and this can be captured by PMTA
and they are captured in the pmta log and successfully being transferred to mailwizz via webhook

B: Delayed bounces:
------------------
This type of bounces are not captured at transaction level and PMTA will not be able to redirect to a custom MX, instead it
will be sent to the MX configured in the DNS Zone.

Code:
<bounce-processor>
deliver-unmatched-email yes # default: no
deliver-matched-email yes # default: no
deliver-email yes
<address-list>
domain abc.com # whole domain
address /bounce@abc.com/ #regex
</address-list>
</bounce-processor>

<domain abc.com>
route [1.2.3.4]:25
</domain>

and these are not visible in pmta logs and therefore can not be transffered by webook to mailwizz

the question is how do i get these bounces to milwizz with a webhook?
or am i doing something wrong?

thanks

Back