Incorrect open rates are the single biggest issue plaguing Mailwizz

Ikhan85

Up until yesterday, everything was going well. I had finally settled on a server to use, which, up until that point, had been delivering great opens rates for my campaigns. Little did I know that the open rates within mailwizz were not accurate. When I used the same server, but a different application to follow up with the individuals that had opened my emails (according to the mailwizz stats), I was shocked to find out that I received less than a 2% open rate, whereas mailwizz had my open rates at 30-40%.

I probably should have known better than to have believed that the open rates were as good as they were, but a certain individual on here assured me the open rates were accurate. This is not true, they are not accurate. I am now left with a broken campaign that I had been working on for over a month, on which, a false assumption was made that the people I was emailing were opening my messages, when in reality they were not.

If the open rates I am getting do not reflect actual opens, what do they represent?
Also, if other users on here could chime in about their experiences with this same issue (and if they were able to find a work-around), I would greatly appreciate it.

This has been discussed in the past, MailWizz correctly reports all the opens.
Thing is, if your sender reputation isn't good enough, your emails will be subject to spam filters verifications which will trigger the open pixel and which will record the open action.

We tried in the past to block the IP addresses from google/yahoo/etc so that their spam filters don't trigger opens, but then, because they also use same IP addresses for image proxies, where when a user opens the email for real from their web application, they will load the open pixel through same proxy, because the IP would have been blocked, that real open wouldn't be tracked.

When the sender reputation is good, then this problem is considerably smaller.

So this isn't a problem from MailWizz or specific to MailWizz.
This is just how things work today and marketers must take this into consideration.

This has been discussed in the past, MailWizz correctly reports all the opens.
Thing is, if your sender reputation isn't good enough, your emails will be subject to spam filters verifications which will trigger the open pixel and which will record the open action.

We tried in the past to block the IP addresses from google/yahoo/etc so that their spam filters don't trigger opens, but then, because they also use same IP addresses for image proxies, where when a user opens the email for real from their web application, they will load the open pixel through same proxy, because the IP would have been blocked, that real open wouldn't be tracked.

When the sender reputation is good, then this problem is considerably smaller.

So this isn't a problem from MailWizz or specific to MailWizz.
This is just how things work today and marketers must take this into consideration.
I appreciate the quick reply.

What about click rates? Are they also subject to the spam filter issue or would they be 100% accurate?

These spam filters that mess with open/click rates, do they affect google/yahoo/microsoft email addresses only? I'm Trying to gauge if there is any accuracy within our campaigns thus far.

For spam filters, you can assume most of email servers will have them in a way or another.
For image image proxies, there are a few, gmail, yahoo, outlook for sure, but others as well, I don't have a list, but I assume you can find it with a bit of google search.

@twisted1919 please delete this thread, It doesn't look like I have the option to do so. I don't want to sully the name of mailwizz if the real blame should go towards my own sender reputation.

All ESPs' open rates are skewed - mainly due to Apple's MPP, amongst other privacy-related changes incl. Google's images being stored on proxy servers since 2012: https://postmarkapp.com/blog/how-apples-mail-privacy-changes-affect-email-open-tracking

Open rates (and click-throughs to a certain extent for the same reason) are no longer a reliable definitive metric. If you need accuracy and single-user-targeting, you have to work with website engagement and measurable actions following the email step. It's the only way.

Back