Importing the same csv twice

Henry

As I'm sure many of you will agree, customers primarily exist to drive us nuts. Case in point: customer provides me with a spreadsheet containing lots of fields, 3 of which are email, first name, and last name. As expected, he wants them imported to MW. I ask him, "Any other fields from this spreadsheet?" "No, that's all I need." So we sent several campaigns, get opens, unsubscribes, bounces, etc., and then he tells me, "I wish we had imported this here date column". Grrr. So my question is, can I re-import the csv, now containing the 4th field, to the same list? If so, what happens? I'm hoping that the re-import will see the existing records and add the 4th field to each of them, while leaving their open history, subscribe status, etc. intact, but is this a case of wishful thinking? If my dream scenario doesn't turn out to be the case, how can I get the 4 fields and the existing open/click/unsubscribe history to merge, or am I just out of luck? I can't find any forum history on this topic, so maybe I'm the only person to be lucky enough to have a customer like this.

As I'm sure many of you will agree, customers primarily exist to drive us nuts. Case in point: customer provides me with a spreadsheet containing lots of fields, 3 of which are email, first name, and last name. As expected, he wants them imported to MW. I ask him, "Any other fields from this spreadsheet?" "No, that's all I need." So we sent several campaigns, get opens, unsubscribes, bounces, etc., and then he tells me, "I wish we had imported this here date column". Grrr. So my question is, can I re-import the csv, now containing the 4th field, to the same list? If so, what happens? I'm hoping that the re-import will see the existing records and add the 4th field to each of them, while leaving their open history, subscribe status, etc. intact, but is this a case of wishful thinking? If my dream scenario doesn't turn out to be the case, how can I get the 4 fields and the existing open/click/unsubscribe history to merge, or am I just out of luck? I can't find any forum history on this topic, so maybe I'm the only person to be lucky enough to have a customer like this.
Last time I tried, it took the new field in and left all else unchanged.
So, if you had only the email (the unique id on each list) and the new fields, mwz could match it all up and import your new data.
Make sure to NOT include "Date added" and "Ip address", as these will otherwise create new fields (which you could delete afterward).
But PLEASE try this first on a test list, just to make sure it still works this way in the latest version!
(Just tried and it worked, but still, test first! Better safe than sorry.)

Back