immediate false opens in Gmail?

ScrubsDev

So we just successfully sent our first campaign with mailwizz (woot!) as a test we went to a smaller list of 900 people, and I noticed almost instantly mailwizz reported 163 opens, and that all of them were gmail addresses, all with the exact same "user agent" in open reports. So I copy/pasted that user agent into google, and found a few different results, including this article discussing my exact same problem with "false gmail opens" https://www.gmass.co/blog/false-opens-in-gmail/
Here is the user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko Firefox/11.0 (via ggpht.com GoogleImageProxy)
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? I still noticed other gmail user opening and clicking links hours later, so it didn't happen to all of my gmail users, only around half. As long as those that I get this response with are getting the email, I suppose it's not a big deal, I just wanted to figure out what this was before I send to a much larger list.

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
I think google is picking the senders and will run tests on them, you happen to be one of the senders and google will open your emails to make sure they have working links, etc. This also means they'll trigger the opens pixel, which will be recorded as an open. I think this behavior will go away once you get a better reputation for google, so i think keep sending good emails and you should see this go away.
One solution would be to block the ips from google, mailwizz has a area where you can do this, but i don't know how healthy that is and whether that would affect your future open rates.

So we just successfully sent our first campaign with mailwizz (woot!) as a test we went to a smaller list of 900 people, and I noticed almost instantly mailwizz reported 163 opens, and that all of them were gmail addresses, all with the exact same "user agent" in open reports. So I copy/pasted that user agent into google, and found a few different results, including this article discussing my exact same problem with "false gmail opens" https://www.gmass.co/blog/false-opens-in-gmail/
Here is the user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko Firefox/11.0 (via ggpht.com GoogleImageProxy)
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? I still noticed other gmail user opening and clicking links hours later, so it didn't happen to all of my gmail users, only around half. As long as those that I get this response with are getting the email, I suppose it's not a big deal, I just wanted to figure out what this was before I send to a much larger list.
facing same issue since many days , well as i researched and discuss with many friends , it can be auto bots on server or reverse pings/request from spam filter.
better if you either block these IDs or block IP as @twisted1919 suggested.

Scott

You don't want to block Gmail's Google Image proxy because those can also be real opens. I've dived into this a bit and there's not much you can do. Gmail will eventually stop inflating your open rates after you have a more established reputation and sending pattern, but until then it's just something you have to work around.