Inaccurate open tracking

Jason Thompson

I've come to a conclusion that open tracking mostly works but not very accurately which is causing me some issues when remove inactive subscribers.

For example; i send a test email to my seed list and don't open the test email, yet when i view the stats in mailwizz it shows multiple opens, and when i search the IP that opens its a google proxy. So in this case when i segment my list into openers they are not actually real openers since majority of them are gmail IPs.

Is there some fix for this?

bz87

Most likely no. We pushed a fix at some point which proven to be a mistake, so right now we'll take our time for it.
Hi twisted

Can we please get an update for this ASAP?, without this update my list cleaning efforts (building an openers only list) won't make sense. This is extremely Important thing for me and many others.

I'm still using other paid autoresponder services along side Mailwizz and one the most important thing is the ability to clean list and keep only true openers because it really helps with overall long term deliverability.

I honestly think this should be our #1 priority in terms of updates!

Thanks

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly think this should be our #1 priority in terms of updates!
Here's the deal, opens from GMail's web interface are made only via the image proxy, so the request is not made by the user itself but by the proxy. If we don't track this behavior, then the open is not tracked at all. If we track it, it comes from the proxy not from the user. Do you see the problem?

nadworks

Here's the deal, opens from GMail's web interface are made only via the image proxy, so the request is not made by the user itself but by the proxy. If we don't track this behavior, then the open is not tracked at all. If we track it, it comes from the proxy not from the user. Do you see the problem?
Yes, but that's not the only alternative and now what other ESPs are doing to overcome this. Mailchimp, Salesforce, Adobe Campaign, etc. have accurate open tracking despite Google's image proxy scenario. So there is a way other than simply blocking those IP addresses. It might require some research.

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
Mailchimp, Salesforce, Adobe Campaign, etc. have accurate open tracking despite Google's image proxy scenario
They have the exact problem, the difference is that the end customer doesn't get to see the stats as you can see them in MailWizz.

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
@Jason Thompson - Thanks for the link, we'll revisit this issue as soon as possible, as you said, this is indeed a sensitive topic and we don't want to get it wrong. If you ask me, it's better to get all the opens instead of no opens because of a mistake.