Devices statistics

GildasPro

New Member
Is there a way to know the statistics about the device?

I would like to know my newsletter opening percentage via a smartphone.
 

nadworks

Active Member
So, although this is now available, it does not seem to be working correctly.

I know my audience quite well from GA stats and UTM captured campaign stats, favouring 63%+ mobile devices. However, the device and operating system stats I see here in MW shows 95% Windows / 97% Desktop / 80% Firefox Browser. That's just completely impossible. Yet, it's consistent through all campaigns. It can't be me, because I don't use Firefox.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else have that same problem?
 

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
@nadworks - we extract that info from the user agent string we get from them while opening and clicking campaigns.
It also contains info from proxies which open the emails in behalf of users, or spam filters which do that, so this might be one reason for why the data is off. Remember that you can add ip addresses and ip ranges to block opens and clicks tracking from certain sources. This will give you more accurate data.
 

nadworks

Active Member
This seems to be the Google image proxy issue:
This is my user agent of 94% of opens:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko Firefox/11.0 (via ggpht.com GoogleImageProxy)

Any way the device stats can be outmanoeuvring Google's cached image? This issue has been around for a while and is not affecting stats of other email platforms as far as I can see. So they must be capturing this insight differently.

Here's more about the known issue:
https://feedback.mailgun.com/forums...88995-fix-googleimageproxy-user-agent-parsing
https://www.gmass.co/blog/false-opens-in-gmail/
https://instiller.co.uk/blog/gmail-image-caching/
 
Last edited:

nadworks

Active Member
Hi @twisted1919 and team - do you have any plans to improve the accuracy of device and OS statistics, which are so very clearly still screwed up?
I'm increasingly asked by clients about their subscribers' behaviour and preference in that area, and it would help me immensely making a case for certain design and build decisions if I was equipped with actual audience's statistics.
I feel the current method is somehow dated and not taking ESP specific methods into account. I.e. the first gmail user's open action will serve all other gmail users that very same cached image. In a nutshell, that first useragent data is subsequently used for ALL other users on gmail, regardless how they open their emails.
 
Last edited:

nadworks

Active Member
Just following up again since this continues to be a challenge when analysing my clients' campaigns.

The device tracking is completely skewed - I assume - by proxy image loading of the main email clients (i.e. Gmail/Google, MS Outlook?). It doesn't seem to overcome the tracking requirements to get real stats - other ESPs have sussed this out long ago.

I'm bringing clients over from MailChimp to Mailwizz. Their MC device stats look typical and make sense. Once sending through MW, 90% of users are suddenly opening on Windows Desktop using Firefox. I mean, come-on. Look at the below, which is what I see for almost all of my various clients' campaigns...

Screenshot 2021-02-11 100621.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-11 101004.jpg

No way is this a reflection of reality. All my campaigns look similar to this.
I don't want to beg to address this. But I guess I kind-of am...
 

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look in the other thread related to this where we discuss the options we have to filter opens/clicks.
Right now we track those requests as they come, we don't filter them in any way, so if they come from image proxies, we track them just fine. Other platforms filter out requests coming from robots, so i assume we should do it as well.
 

nadworks

Active Member
I remember looking at this when it was first launched a vaguely remember that we managed to exclude the tracking image from being cached (via code). But I'm not able to trace back that info. It wasn't such a massive deal in 2013 as Gmail was still way behind Hotmail then. This has obviously changed since.

Whatever is doable would be appreciated. The way it is right now is making me look bad in front of my clients, especially those coming from MailChimp et al.

Info from out there:

"The trick is actually quite simple: in your email header, your content length coding must be set to zero (Content-length’ (=0). Emails coded this way notify your server each time it’s opened. For a detailed exploration of this approach and a tutorial on changing your tracking pixels, I recommend visiting this helpful post from The Email Expert. It’s important to note that the jury is out on this approach. Some people feel that it violates the spirit of Google’s changes, and expect them to correct for this “loophole.” Others disagree. Only time will tell, but for now if this metric matters to you there is a way to achieve it."
 

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
The trick is actually quite simple: in your email header, your content length coding must be set to zero (Content-length’ (=0). Emails coded this way notify your server each time it’s opened.
This is what we do and obvious it's not the case anymore.
 

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
Just a FYI, i just added code in the app where it will not do tracking for crawlers/robots, so let's see how that will work.
 
Top