Changing IP and User Agent When Tracking Links

CRAIG BINES

Hi All,

Since we turned on our link tracking this week in campaigns our clients are saying they are seeing nearly 50% of their traffic from the USA and international. Having downloaded some of the campaigns they are correct and nearly 50% of the traffic looks to be comming from the USA and we know our members are 99% UK Based.

what is strange is when searching the IP addresses of the clicks many look like to be from the same providers. So my question is as part of the tracking is the IP address given to the end user / website different to the IP address of the person who has clicked the link. i.e is the tracking creating issues with our end client being able to see the true location of the clickers of the campaigns.

I'll answer here the same reply from the support ticket, maybe others will find it useful as well.
---
This happens when the emails are first opened by spam filters and all links in them accessed to make sure they are correct and don't point to spammy domains, etc.
For example, 52.34.xx.xx is part of the amazon network.

Depending on your sender reputation this might happen more or less often, but this is the reason and there's no way to go around it for now than to not track the actions made by the IPs from the big ESP's like amazon/gmail/yahoo/etc where you'd need to know all the ip ranges which is almost impossible.

---

That's true.

Using AWS I have noticed we get major traffic from aws Oregon regions on boardman area.

Back