Anyone interested in an extension for "Subscribe/Unsubscribe" via email using email piping?

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
I had to develop an extension that allows someone to send an email to a specific email address with a specific subject and based on that, the given email address is added or removed from a given email list.

Let me give you an example:
Sending an email from me@domain.com at lists@domain.com with the subject: Subscribe to se23491hy22er will automatically add me to the mailwizz list having the uid se23491hyawer
In same fashion, sending an email with the subject Unsubscribe from se23491hyawer will unsubscribe me from that list.

This works via email piping which is super easy to setup on cpanel but almost impossible in plesk, i wasted around 6 hours to make it work and eventually i gave up with plesk, took a cpanel hosting and set it up there in like 5 minutes.

Since the extension is not 100% done, i am looking to see if it worth putting a bit more time into it and sell it on codecanyon.
I am not looking for features, this will work as described, just wonder if people look after such things.

Thanks.

I had to develop an extension that allows someone to send an email to a specific email address with a specific subject and based on that, the given email address is added or removed from a given email list.

Let me give you an example:
Sending an email from me@domain.com at lists@domain.com with the subject: Subscribe to se23491hy22er will automatically add me to the mailwizz list having the uid se23491hyawer
In same fashion, sending an email with the subject Unsubscribe from se23491hyawer will unsubscribe me from that list.

This works via email piping which is super easy to setup on cpanel but almost impossible in plesk, i wasted around 6 hours to make it work and eventually i gave up with plesk, took a cpanel hosting and set it up there in like 5 minutes.

Since the extension is not 100% done, i am looking to see if it worth putting a bit more time into it and sell it on codecanyon.
I am not looking for features, this will work as described, just wonder if people look after such things.

Thanks.

Definitely interested, but it should work based on list name, not a general address, see yahoo groups or mailman, and it is important that it cooperates with approval, as otherwise things can go crazy in some cases. Also, these incoming emails would need the option of being forwarded to an archive for proof of un/subscription request. Basically, the whole 'yahoo/mailman list management by email' shebang ;)

PS: although ideally this would be built-in, as many good mailers have it...

@twisted

As you said its easy to setup email pipe via CPanel as that feature is available.

But in server if don't have cpanel installed and manage VPS without WHM/Cpanel, then is it easy to manage that ?

@frm.mwz - now it works with both cases, i wrote a very detailed article here that explains absolutely everything ;)
@Vpul Shah - i personally couldn't make it work in plesk, wasted a lot of time and nothing, so the suggestion is to use it either if you have cpanel access, or if you have enough time to put into it to make it work in other control panels.

@frm.mwz - now it works with both cases, i wrote a very detailed article here that explains absolutely everything ;)
@Vpul Shah - i personally couldn't make it work in plesk, wasted a lot of time and nothing, so the suggestion is to use it either if you have cpanel access, or if you have enough time to put into it to make it work in other control panels.
awesome! u rock!! yeah!!!

re plesk piping, this may help:
http://web.archive.org/web/20151208...sticket-plesk-9-postfix-pipe-mail-to-a-progr/

(just found the updated link)
http://blog.absolutedisaster.co.uk/uncategorized/osticket-plesk-9-postfix-pipe-mail-to-a-progr/

If I understand this correctly, it looks kind of the same as a plugin that is on my list of plugins to create, which thereby makes it possible for me to pull it off my list of things to do. When do you plan to sell it?

it looks kind of the same as a plugin that is on my list of plugins to create, which thereby makes it possible for me to pull it off my list of things to do

to give a conclusive answer to that...would require to know your list of plugins to create and your list of things to do and this hopefully soon-to-come-out plugin...

scnr
:p

to give a conclusive answer to that...would require to know your list of plugins to create and your list of things to do and this hopefully soon-to-come-out plugin...

scnr
:p

Oh, so YOU are actually doing something to improve Mailwizz! Great news! :D :p

Last edited:
Oh, so YOU are actually doing something to improve Mailwizz! Great news! :D :p

while no immediate answer was expected (as that plugin of this thread is not yet out it seems), you can always have a look around and discover a thing or two of what various people have contributed (not just me), it just depends how far you want to count... ;)
let's get back to this plugin pls, your post was fun, thx.

No problem. I didn't divert from the topic.
(and I know very well that people contribute in different ways)

Is there an option to just customise the "List-Unsubscribe:" header? i.e. we do our own bounce-/abuse-handling via Port25 and I have not come across an option where I can customise the List-Unsubscribe header to include our own unsubscribe email and define our own format.

@bidorbuy - you could hook from an extension into the sending process and alter the headers accordingly, i.e:
PHP:
Yii::app()->hooks->addFilter('console_command_send_campaigns_campaign_custom_headers', function(
$headers, $campaign, $subscriber, $customer, $server, $emailParams
){
    $headers[] = array('name' => 'List-Unsubscribe', 'value' => $listUnsubscribeHeaderValue);
    return $headers;
});

@bidorbuy - you could hook from an extension into the sending process and alter the headers accordingly, i.e:
PHP:
Yii::app()->hooks->addFilter('console_command_send_campaigns_campaign_custom_headers', function(
$headers, $campaign, $subscriber, $customer, $server, $emailParams
){
    $headers[] = array('name' => 'List-Unsubscribe', 'value' => $listUnsubscribeHeaderValue);
    return $headers;
});

Thanks - I will drop you a PM.

A few things re this extension:

The 'subscribe by email' extension in connection with the list feature of 'approval' would benefit hugely from a feature for canned responses in case you need to reject a subscription request.

Also, the key idea for 'subscribe by email' (as in mailman or yahoo/google groups or any like those) is to have a simple unique humanly memorable email address that can be set per list (as the unique list id is rather cryptic, for understandable app reasons, but not for this extension).

To automate the approval, in the app (or by way of this extension), it would be useful to have the ability to pre-approve/deny certain domains (both, not either/or, so there is pre-approved, pre-denied, and still some open for approval).

As it stands it is a little hard to use for admins and for subscribers. If you get around to those points, it will help a lot for this extension to be closer to the functionality of the mentioned apps.

Do you think this is doable step-by-step over time, wizz @twisted1919 ?

Last edited:
Back