100% delivery rate

Marty

Hey guys,

Every campaign I send out, I seem to get a 100% delivery rate. Im sure this cannot be correct.

Any ideas why my stats are constantly showing this?

Hey guys,

Every campaign I send out, I seem to get a 100% delivery rate. Im sure this cannot be correct.

Any ideas why my stats are constantly showing this?

the delivery that mwz shows is at first whether the delivery server sent it

you then have to deduct bounce, complaints, etc

Whats the process of doing that? @frm.mwz

you look in detail at what comes back in bounce, alerts, fbl, postmaster, etc...but these messages are not always clear (for many reasons not related to mwz)

it is important to keep in mind that "delivery" does not mean "inbox",
it means the mwz-configured 'delivery server' has done its job of taking the message from mwz and sent it
(and depending on your IP reputation, respectful sending policies, content quality, subscription policies, list quality, etc...you get inboxed)

what happens at the receiving server's end is up to
...that server's (admin) policies (e.g. spam filters; white/blacklist; etc)
(...extra hardware firewall/spam/reputation filter settings)
...the mail handler on the server
...the subscriber's preferences (e.g. how they configure their client e.g. thunderbird, gmail, etc)
etc

@frm.mwz maybe ive misunderstood but if I send out 100k emails and lets say 20k of them bounce- are you saying the only way I can see which emails bounce are by directly going into my inbox and checking?

Mailwizz stats show open rate, unsubscribe rate etc with the emails which have preformed an action.
Is it not possible for that to be displayed for the bounce rate?

@frm.mwz maybe ive misunderstood but if I send out 100k emails and lets say 20k of them bounce- are you saying the only way I can see which emails bounce are by directly going into my inbox and checking?

Mailwizz stats show open rate, unsubscribe rate etc with the emails which have preformed an action.
Is it not possible for that to be displayed for the bounce rate?

> if I send out 100k emails and lets say 20k of them bounce-

the bounce rate should tell you
how many emails that have been delivered by the delivery server to the receiving server have bounced (you can adjust bounce rules, but leave it on defaults before you know details)

the open and unsubscribe rates depend e.g. on the number of sent and inboxed emails

> are you saying the only way I can see which emails bounce are by directly going into my inbox and checking?
no (mostly), yes (for some)...by default, mwz is configured to recognize most bounces correctly, but depending on many factors, the mail that comes back tells you something...and if 20% are bounces...then you should regularly go through them and filter them so you can adjust some soft/hard bounce rules and most importantly clean everything up...at 20% you get blocked by most providers...or get into the low rep IPs of the senders...which again gets you into the spam box...vicious circle...

> Is it not possible for that to be displayed for the bounce rate?
as said here and elsewhere on the forum, the (real and categorized) bounces depend on many factors, unfortunately also on the receiving server's admins configuring their servers correctly (so to give correct error codes, which they oft do not want to give to spammers)

believe it or not, email is rocket science!
but with mwz, a lot of the burden is taken care of ;)

PS: I learned a lot about email (sending/handling) by reading/researching error messages...so that kind of study pays...

Last edited:
the delivery rate shows only how many email mailwizz was able to deliver to the delivery server itself, without errors.
If that's 100% it means mailwizz was able to handle all the emails to the delivery servers.

the delivery rate shows only how many email mailwizz was able to deliver to the delivery server itself, without errors.
If that's 100% it means mailwizz was able to handle all the emails to the delivery servers.

@twisted1919 I have a suggestion here. Actually I was going to request this a couple of times in the past but got distracted to something else. Thing is, the term "Delivery rate" or simply "Delivery" is confusing. Mainly to the clients if we are reselling the platform as a hosted service/ESP. It's often compared with the term "Deliverability: - meaning, total successful end deliveries (Sent - bounces)".

Here actually it represents the rate/no.of emails transferred to the MTA. I strongly feel we should change the word "Delivery" to "Messages queued" or "Queued for delivery", which makes MORE sense. Even my customers used to come to me asking about this, and then I'll clarify. They'll be wondered to see 100% delivery rate for their poor lists :D.

If anyone else has any suggestions or do agree/disagree with me, pls come forward and lets do this only if everyone feels it is sensible :)

@twisted1919 I have a suggestion here. Actually I was going to request this a couple of times in the past but got distracted to something else. Thing is, the term "Delivery rate" or simply "Delivery" is confusing. Mainly to the clients if we are reselling the platform as a hosted service/ESP. It's often compared with the term "Deliverability: - meaning, total successful end deliveries (Sent - bounces)".

Here actually it represents the rate/no.of emails transferred to the MTA. I strongly feel we should change the word "Delivery" to "Messages queued" or "Queued for delivery", which makes MORE sense. Even my customers used to come to me asking about this, and then I'll clarify. They'll be wondered to see 100% delivery rate for their poor lists :D.

If anyone else has any suggestions or do agree/disagree with me, pls come forward and lets do this only if everyone feels it is sensible :)

@twisted1919

also think it would be good to rename this according to what actually happens (as I posted above), hence suggest
"Delivery" to be renamed into "Transferred to MTA" or "Sent to MTA for Delivery" or just "Sent Out" (and in the popup/tooltip/alt hover put "Emails transferred to MTA for delivery" or so), but not "queued" as this happens (sometimes) inside mwz, and (sometimes) inside the MTA

and while we are at it, the term "delivery server" is also a bit confusing
better would be "MTA"
anyone any better ideas?

further, in the 'sending' settings, a wording change would help
"Wait for quota to expire *"
would be better "Wait for the 'Time Unit' to expire"
and
"Whether to wait for the quota to expire when the sending quota has been reached"
"Whether to wait for the 'Time Unit' to expire when the 'Sending Quota' has been reached"

Last edited:
@twisted1919

also think it would be good to rename this according to what actually happens (as I posted above), hence suggest
"Delivery" to be renamed into "Transferred to MTA" or "Sent to MTA for Delivery" or just "Sent Out" (and in the popup/tooltip/alt hover put "Emails transferred to MTA for delivery" or so), but not "queued" as this happens (sometimes) inside mwz, and (sometimes) inside the MTA

and while we are at it, the term "delivery server" is also a bit confusing
better would be "MTA"
anyone any better ideas?

further, in the 'sending' settings, a wording change would help
"Wait for quota to expire *"
would be better "Wait for the 'Time Unit' to expire"
and
"Whether to wait for the quota to expire when the sending quota has been reached"
"Whether to wait for the 'Time Unit' to expire when the 'Sending Quota' has been reached"

Agree all except "delivery server" > "MTA". Both makes same sense to me, MTA is bit technical. So, guess a newbie wouldn't know what an "MTA" means(?).

Agree all except "delivery server" > "MTA". Both makes same sense to me, MTA is bit technical. So, guess a newbie wouldn't know what an "MTA" means(?).

well, in this case, (even though I do quite agree with you, the wish to have things proper goes to that) it may be better to expect the newbie to learn that one thing, after all, they want to run the mwz EMA ;)

still better than get newbies confused re 'server' (as in hosting) and 'delivery server' (as in MTA / sending service)

so it could be explained in a popup/tooltip/alt hover and in kb (MTA is a Mail Transfer Agent that actually sends your emails out)

any better ideas?

@VVT / @frm.mwz - I think the wording "queued" sounds better since this is actually what happens.
I did a few changes as you guys requested, see:
Overview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f12urxq1iahbz3/Screenshot 2016-06-09 12.35.50.png?dl=0
Detail: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8oy6toe4rwxu0f/Screenshot 2016-06-09 12.39.33.png?dl=0
Exported file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpcc3eefnb78o7p/Screenshot 2016-06-09 12.40.10.png?dl=0
Basic stats export: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkpf540jj1yiibw/Screenshot 2016-06-09 12.43.53.png?dl=0

The "delivery" idea is very rooted in the app, this is just the surface which we can slightly change, but that's pretty much all.

Reactions: VVT
I think the wording "queued" sounds better since this is actually what happens

if mwz has sent them to the MTA, they are not queued anymore in mwz, this will definitely confuse folks, and you would have to say 'where' they are queued...at the MTA/delivery server, and we are back at the problem (calling it MTA or delivery server)...hence 'sent out' seems the best compromise btwn simplicity and factuality...any better ideas?

"Queued" makes sense. But I guess something like "Delivery attempted" for "Queued emails" on the first tile would make more sense (for customer).

"Queued" makes sense. But I guess something like "Delivery attempted" for "Queued emails" on the first tile would make more sense (for customer).

once mwz has transferred the emails to the MTA (ie before called 100% delivery),
the emails are out for delivery (just as packages),
that's why i believe "Sent Out" is the least confusing for the customer
(if anyone has a better idea, ie even less confusing for the customer, that would be great)

once mwz has transferred the emails to the MTA (ie before called 100% delivery),
the emails are out for delivery (just as packages),
that's why i believe "Sent Out" is the least confusing for the customer
(if anyone has a better idea, ie even less confusing for the customer, that would be great)
Ok, my picks would be "Sent" or "Sent out" or "Attempted Delivery" - Something that doesn't state emails are delivered but there was an attempt made.

Ok, my picks would be "Sent" or "Sent out" or "Attempted Delivery" - Something that doesn't state emails are delivered but there was an attempt made.

yes, "sent" is nice, even better/shorter/clearer than "sent out"
thx @VVT !
:)

(and in a tooltip/kb could be an explanation that they've been transferred to mta/delivery server which'll deliver to recipient, where server/user/filters/etc decide inboxing)

Reactions: VVT
Back