Will enabling AsynchDNS for cURL speed up sending?

Lakjin

I'm not a programmer, so excuse me if this is a stupid question but... will enabling AsynchDNS for CURL speed up sending of emails? Right now it is taking roughly .3 secs per email for me, the majority of which is making connection to SMTP relay. I'm up for trying anything that will speed this up, I'm looking to send at 100,000 - 200,000 emails per hour.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No. in short. It will only speed up DNS calls. If you want to hit a quarter of a billion emails per 24 hours then you really need to look at your infrastructure and how it connects to your SMTP/MTA relay.

MW as an application is capable of delivering such speeds, I use the Redis queue part of it and it delivers. If you want such a system get in touch via PM because that is knowledge that has been hard earned simply because lots of us have spent weeks/months working out how to send Nth emails irrespective of which application we use.

Cheers

Rob

No. in short. It will only speed up DNS calls. If you want to hit a quarter of a billion emails per 24 hours then you really need to look at your infrastructure and how it connects to your SMTP/MTA relay.

MW as an application is capable of delivering such speeds, I use the Redis queue part of it and it delivers. If you want such a system get in touch via PM because that is knowledge that has been hard earned simply because lots of us have spent weeks/months working out how to send Nth emails irrespective of which application we use.

Cheers

Rob
I actually made a typo in my post. I mean per hour, not minute. Right now, I'm looking to send about 600,000 emails per day within 2-3 hours.
I saw the Redis queue info but I'm not sure how it will help; according to verbose, the majority of the time taken to send emails is spent connecting to network ends, so my server itself isn't the one causing the issue.
I'd love to have a chat with you on how to speed up this process.
Thanks!

Cheers

Rob
FWIW, I setup Redis and setup Redis queue. When trying to run the dameon to send emails from the Redis queue using the QUEUE command, I get the following error: "could not fork worker 0"

You do realise that in order to send 600,000 emails in 3 hours you require a system that can send 146,000,000 emails a month, irrespective that you only want to send that number per day over 3 hours.

Taking your figures you need a system capable of sending 200,000 per hour x 730 hours in a month = 146,000,000

There's a reason why the likes of Mailchimp charge what they do.

If you have the ability to spin up multiple servers to send what you need then MW can cope with it.

Your limiting factor is PHP, however you can greatly improve its performance using php-fpm.

Remote connections will always be the key factor if that is how you send emails. You either need to send via an API or through your own MTA which will require a lot of work regarding IP address reputation.

Cheers

Rob

You do realise that in order to send 600,000 emails in 3 hours you require a system that can send 146,000,000 emails a month, irrespective that you only want to send that number per day over 3 hours.

Taking your figures you need a system capable of sending 200,000 per hour x 730 hours in a month = 146,000,000

There's a reason why the likes of Mailchimp charge what they do.

If you have the ability to spin up multiple servers to send what you need then MW can cope with it.

Your limiting factor is PHP, however you can greatly improve its performance using php-fpm.

Remote connections will always be the key factor if that is how you send emails. You either need to send via an API or through your own MTA which will require a lot of work regarding IP address reputation.

Cheers

Rob
We have an SMTP relay and are sending over their API; I've already talked to them about the sending amount and they are confident they can handle it. I know my server can. I just need to send it out that fast, somehow.

FWIW, I setup Redis and setup Redis queue. When trying to run the dameon to send emails from the Redis queue using the QUEUE command, I get the following error: "could not fork worker 0"

That's to do with your PCNTL settings within PHP. You need to ensure "disable_functions" are all switched off in your php.ini file.

Figured out why this wasn't working -- had to install pcntl.

We have an SMTP relay and are sending over their API; I've already talked to them about the sending amount and they are confident they can handle it. I know my server can. I just need to send it out that fast, somehow.
HOLY SHIT, just got the Redis queue up and running and my emails are FLYING. This may have solved the issue... thanks for all your help, Rob!

Back