When is a bounce not a bounce?

ElJefe

Hi,

I have Amazon SES Web API set up as my delivery server, which should handle all bounces automagically, right? However, I've been getting a bunch of messages delivered to my email box that don't show up as bounces in MailWizz. Any idea why? I checked the bounce logs in the backend, and there are a few entries in there from previous campaigns, but nothing from the campaigns I've sent this week.

The messages from Amazon have the subject line, "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" and look like this:
An error occurred while trying to deliver the mail to the following recipients:
=?utf-8?B?TmFnYXJham9vIEtyaXNobmFu?= <email@redacted.foo>

Delivery status notification (Failure) sounds like a bounce due to a bad or defunct email address, but MailWizz somehow isn't seeing this as a bounce.

@ElJefe - Maybe the SNS Topic was not created for some reason. can you check your SNS topics and confirm you have one for mailwizz? Also, the sns topic url, is it freely publicly accessible ?

@ElJefe - Maybe the SNS Topic was not created for some reason. can you check your SNS topics and confirm you have one for mailwizz? Also, the sns topic url, is it freely publicly accessible ?

The Amazon setup/config is a pain! Very confusing!

I did find an SNS topic for MailWizz, but I noticed that is was http, not https. Probably from before we got the SSL cert. I don't know if the different protocol made a difference or not. Also, after doing more digging and reading of the plethora of documentation, I found that the IAM user had the "AmazonSNSFullAccess" (or something like that) policy attached to it. I don't know if that made a difference, either.

Anyhow, I ended up creating a new user with the "PowerUserAccess" policy, and creating a new delivery server in MailWizz with the newly generated access keys. Then I tried sending a campaign to a bogus address, and now I can see that bounces are being processed! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the help, as always.

Back