Unsubscribe header - Gmail issue

Hello, i am running 8 different servers on 8 different mailwizz.

After checking some of the (email box monitors) i noticed some of the unsubscribe requests was not being sent by gmail.

After spending hours trying to figure it out, i finally found the issue.

Mailwizz has the unsubscribe header which is ok, with this header the gmail unsubscribe requests works flawlessly, however on some of my mailwizz i notice and extra header like this: (List-Unsubscribe-Post: List-Unsubscribe=One-Click)

What's strange is the ones with this header the gmail unsubscribe request will NOT be sent.

I ran multiple tests by adding and removing this header, here is examples below viewing email source:

Example 1: with the extra header - (Gmail unsubscribe request NOT RECEIVED after unsubscribing via header)

1609044826831.png
Example 2: without the extra header - (Gmail unsubscribe request RECEIVED after unsubscribing via header)

1609045007017.png

So according to my tests the extra: List-Unsubscribe-Post header is causing issues for gmail to forward the unsubscribe request.

My question is, why does some mailwizz have this extra header and some don't? Even though its the same version and up to date mailwizz.

Last edited:
From his testing we were noticing that mailwizz wasn't unsubscribing users when we would use the gmail one click list unsubscribe request. Had to "#" out the "list-unsubscribe=one-click" line to change to the email notification method to get the unsubscribe request to process properly.

Had to "#" out the "list-unsubscribe=one-click" line to change to the email notification method to get the unsubscribe request to process properly.
This might not be the right thing to do, check the above PDF which explains why the header is needed...

Thanks for the reply twisted. I think you are misunderstanding the issue here. If this header is used the gmail unsubscribe function will not work. If I pause the header and re-test the unsubscribe function it works flawlessly. Ive properly tested this right throughout the mailwizz app dozens of times.

This might not be the right thing to do, check the above PDF which explains why the header is needed...
Read the file. Can't seem to get the https link for list unsubscribe to work by default. "#" out that line seems to tell google that we're using email notifications and not the https url method. And can confirm the email notification method works.

Is there another way to fix the https method of one click list unsubscribe?

Sorry, was on vacation.

Basically with the default settings, when using Gmail unsubscribe button, not being redirected to any specific url, and users are not being unsubscribed in Mailwizz. After editing out that specific line, now when clicking the Gmail unsubscribe button, an email of the unsubscribe request gets sent to the relative email, where Mailwizz can then process the email and unsubscribe the user.

Here's an example @twisted1919 . I unsubscribed using Gmail unsub from my own list yesterday (using default Mailwizz settings, nothing is "#' out.

And today received an email from this same list.

So need to sort this somehow because I think it's inflating my spam complaints on Gmail.

Yesterday's email.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 15.46.36.png

Email today.
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 15.46.57.png

Simple enough to test to see if it's happening with your application as well. Just unsubscribe from one of your lists using Gmail unsub header and see if it gets processed in the database.

We contacted 2 experts on here to see if we could pay them to evaluate and fix the issue but for some reason no one seems to care that their Gmail unsub might not be working lol.

I see, but it;s wird because we simply follow the documentation related to this.

Do you have the exact same issue?

HI
I'm subscribed to a few mailers who use Mailwizz and recently when I tried to unsubscribe via gmail header, I still get mails from that particular list/mailer.

SO yes although it's not my list im seeing the exact issue.

Back