TLSv1.2?

Edmund

Hi,

Understand that Amazon SES supports TLSv1.0, TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2, with 1.0 as the default. From their doc, "Amazon SES sends messages over a TLS-protected connection (TLS version 1.0 only) by default. Amazon SES supports opportunistic TLS in all regions and you don't need to take any action to enable it."

Spoke to their support team and they mentioned TLS handshake depends on the configuration at the client side. Tried to configure apache2.conf (ubuntu) to only TLSv1.2, but the emails sent did not seem to be with v1.2 but still 1.0:

(TLSv1:AES128-SHA:128)
(Exim 4.87)
(envelope-from <0100015cbf983dc3-7628b5d4-04f3-4f25-bd06-9a2b52d01c55-000000@amazonses.com>)

Is there a configuration setting in mailwizz that I need to change? Or am i reading the header right?

Ed

Tried to configure apache2.conf (ubuntu) to only TLSv1.2
That won't help, we don't depend on the web server for these.

The way it works is when a connection is made, in the initial handshake, they establish what version of tls can be used and the client should comply, so it's all about your PHP settings, so take a look there.
Here's some hints: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30145089/tls-1-2-not-working-in-curl

Btw, are we talking about the smtp or web api here ?

Web api here. Man twisted1919, u r so helpful :)

Does it also depends on the recipient email clients whether they support tlsv1.2 and starttls? So with MTA like ses supporting 1.2, these recipient emails should be encrypted as tlsv1.2?

@Edmund - the tls communication in this case, is between your server and amazon, has nothing to do with the client.
I might have to do some work on my side and upgrade the amazon library to latest version, which requires php >= 5.5 and see afterwards how things work.

@Edmund - the tls communication in this case, is between your server and amazon, has nothing to do with the client.
I might have to do some work on my side and upgrade the amazon library to latest version, which requires php >= 5.5 and see afterwards how things work.

Do you mean that currently Mailwizz only supports TLSv1.0 with SES?

Last edited:
Back