Starting sending to large lists, warming up, sanity check.

Gregg

We are about to start sending to a few million email addresses. We have taken our old lists and run them through a checker and are only taking the absolutely valid emails (undeliverable, unknown, and risky are all being blacklisted.) Our setup is Mailwizz + SES. I am in a lucky position that my account could handle the entire warm up schedule in 1 day with its daily limit, but of course I know that would be very dumb :)

I have read in other posts (including one about Sparkpost) about warming up. So, looking at the schedule SparkPost have on their website for warming up, how do we do that with Mailwizz?

I think the answer is just to make a campaign and set it to send to our entire list. But to set the only sending server (SES) to have a limit of 100 on the first day, then when I wake up the next morning, go edit that setting and raise it. Keep doing that until I have reached the end of the warm up schedule.

So the obvious questions are:

1. Is this basically correct? Do I need any other steps?
2. When I wake up and change the sending limit for the server from 100 to 250. Does Mailwizz send that next 150 for that campaign pretty much right away?

Hey @twisted1919 it’s acting a bit weird I think. I set the delivery server to 200 max today. It has sent 472 so far. Here is what has happened.

1. My computer and the server are both in the same time zone and use NTP, so their time is the same.
2. At 11:07am Mailwizz sent 236 emails. I am guessing it sent more than 200 because it can send fast enough that it just went a little bit past the limit before stopping? If thats the case I am totally fine with that, no complaints. Just want to make sure thats what is happening.
3. I did not touch anything all day.
4. I went to look at the campaign to see if anyone had opened, or complained or anything at 7:30pm.
5. That showed me that 472 emails had been sent. Another 236 exactly. And only 8 hours later, when the server still says its the same day (the 4th).

So now 472 have been sent on the same day, 8 hours apart, when I have my delivery server (SES) set to 200 max per day.

Any ideas?

Hey @twisted1919 it’s acting a bit weird I think. I set the delivery server to 200 max today. It has sent 472 so far. Here is what has happened.

1. My computer and the server are both in the same time zone and use NTP, so their time is the same.
2. At 11:07am Mailwizz sent 236 emails. I am guessing it sent more than 200 because it can send fast enough that it just went a little bit past the limit before stopping? If thats the case I am totally fine with that, no complaints. Just want to make sure thats what is happening.
3. I did not touch anything all day.
4. I went to look at the campaign to see if anyone had opened, or complained or anything at 7:30pm.
5. That showed me that 472 emails had been sent. Another 236 exactly. And only 8 hours later, when the server still says its the same day (the 4th).

So now 472 have been sent on the same day, 8 hours apart, when I have my delivery server (SES) set to 200 max per day.

Any ideas?
Would be interesting to see all settings for backend
# cron
# DS
# customer campaigns tab
# customer group campaigns tab

@Gregg - Are you sure all the emails have been sent via the ses server? Is this the only server you have ?

Yes, all sent through that server. I only have the one server, and have never added another since installing this instance.

@frm.mwz
Cron is the default stuff copy and pasted during setup. There are no other cron jobs.
Delivery server is set to 200 a day.
There is one campaign for the one customer.
I do not have any customer groups defined.

I have attached screenshots of all of that.

17743E07-8CEF-43C8-B8A0-42E285F8E8FC.jpeg D38A8711-60A6-4DEA-BAE7-D36A00E5C618.jpeg 55A617D9-3841-497A-9263-A0D76CE1320F.jpeg 4E61DE44-5136-4210-B938-5A5877571CDE.jpeg D15BE9A8-1A2E-4A07-8C76-F3AA6DD31D6C.jpeg

@Gregg - You can PM me backend url and login and also ftp login to your app so that i can check a few things.
Most likely i can look into this on Monday.

Absolutely @twisted1919 , thank you. I will get that done when I get up to my office in a bit. I really appreciate that.

Just to add a little to the story here, after that last post I changed the sending limit on the server to 400. In hopes that it would send out 400 when the next run went.

It just sent emails, and it sent 259 of them for some reason. So now my total is 731.

Yes, all sent through that server. I only have the one server, and have never added another since installing this instance.

@frm.mwz
Cron is the default stuff copy and pasted during setup. There are no other cron jobs.
Delivery server is set to 200 a day.
There is one campaign for the one customer.
I do not have any customer groups defined.

I have attached screenshots of all of that.

View attachment 4604 View attachment 4605 View attachment 4606 View attachment 4607 View attachment 4608
Looks like you will do 100 per minute max and 200 per day max.

What I meant with
# cron: /backend/settings/cron (you had a pic of that)
# DS: /backend/delivery-servers/update/type/smtp/id/... (you had a pic of that)
# customer campaigns tab: /backend/settings/customers/campaigns (could not find this among your pics) -- pls supply if you wish further thinking re this
# customer group campaigns tab: ok (you mentioned you dont have any cust groups)

Back