'Spam' bots filling the forms... Why? and how to avoid?

Bob

Trying to get a solution for this... Since a week or 2 our mailwizz contactpage is filled by a bot with random characters and a valid! email address. Do you have any idea why this happens? What is 'the purpose' of that bot(s)? We have added a honeypot field (named it Subject for confusion) and I am wondering if there is something we can do in Mailwizz to prevent this behaviour on our contact page..? (we do not want to use a captcha) Any idea?

A new subscriber has been added to your list.
List name: ****
Details url: ****
Submitted data: Email: ****@gmail.com
First name: sAhUQCmiKITz
Last name: gzPLSdKclJHb
Telephone: QnmDCupzNsKi
City: IiylRavPHFzf
Subject: dhEYBbRrsHIS

I think best is to add a captcha in the page where your form is.
I don't know the point of the bot and it's submissions, but a captcha will stop it most likely.
Also double opt-in in your forms, so subscribers must confirm the subscription and the ones that don't be removed automatically from the app.

I think best is to add a captcha in the page where your form is.
I don't know the point of the bot and it's submissions, but a captcha will stop it most likely.
Also double opt-in in your forms, so subscribers must confirm the subscription and the ones that don't be removed automatically from the app.
- Thank you for your answer... Any idea why these bots exist? What is it for? I do not see the purpose of it..?
- A double-optin would not work as the harm is already done by sending an email which the receiver would see as spam...

- Thank you for your answer... Any idea why these bots exist? What is it for? I do not see the purpose of it..?
- A double-optin would not work as the harm is already done by sending an email which the receiver would see as spam...
Anyone have an idea why these bots (with hashes) exist? I can not see the purpose of them... Anyone?

We have been exposed to this and it's friggin' annoying, they all came from the same IP which was behind a VPN. The thing is that they complain at the email sent out requesting them to confirm their emails.

A tough captcha is the answer.

Anyone have an idea why these bots (with hashes) exist? I can not see the purpose of them... Anyone?

I have been questioning this myself. My best guess is that it's a competitor who wants to shut down your business. I mean, I don't want to think that people are just plain evil, but some actually are.

Back