Some hard bounces not being processed

Souther

I sent my first large drop yesterday and through the process of auditing what happened, I noticed a few hard bounces were not added to the system blacklist. Many other bounces were added as expected, but a handful were not.

I have copies of these emails, because I have a copy forwarded to an admin box as well, so I can see which were added and which were not added. I DO have bounce processing setup and working, and I DO have clearing the bounce mailbox upon processing turned on. Could it be there was these few were received into the mailbox right as the mailbox delete action was initiated?

The fact that only a few snuck through and got missed is the part which makes me scratch my head.

The more im investigating this issue, the more it looks like the pattern matching is the blame for these bounced email recipients not being blacklisted upon bounce processing even though they "hard bounced".

Additionally, this brings into question if emails should be deleted from the bounce mailbox if they cannot be processed, even if the option to clear the mailbox upon processing is turned on. Otherwise, these issues will never be caught and/or resolved.

Thoughts?

I sent my first large drop yesterday and through the process of auditing what happened, I noticed a few hard bounces were not added to the system blacklist. Many other bounces were added as expected, but a handful were not.

I have copies of these emails, because I have a copy forwarded to an admin box as well, so I can see which were added and which were not added. I DO have bounce processing setup and working, and I DO have clearing the bounce mailbox upon processing turned on. Could it be there was these few were received into the mailbox right as the mailbox delete action was initiated?

The fact that only a few snuck through and got missed is the part which makes me scratch my head.

The more im investigating this issue, the more it looks like the pattern matching is the blame for these bounced email recipients not being blacklisted upon bounce processing even though they "hard bounced".

Additionally, this brings into question if emails should be deleted from the bounce mailbox if they cannot be processed, even if the option to clear the mailbox upon processing is turned on. Otherwise, these issues will never be caught and/or resolved.

Thoughts?

If you switch the full clearing OFF, only those processed will be deleted (see help text on the option).
Then you can run it again manually with increased time span if need be, after the filters have been adjusted.

If you switch the full clearing OFF, only those processed will be deleted (see help text on the option).
Then you can run it again manually with increased time span if need be, after the filters have been adjusted.
Thanks. Where can I adjust the filters/patterns? It seems like adding to this effort would benefit the community...

Not looking for a programmatic solution to this but to contribute this knowledge to fixes to the core product. Again, I think this is something which would benefit the entire community.

Not looking for a programmatic solution to this but to contribute this knowledge to fixes to the core product. Again, I think this is something which would benefit the entire community.

not sure if i understand u correctly

perhaps post the bounce errors so that these strings can be put into the filter rules by @twisted1919 for all?

What is the best way to do this? Just post the raw bounce emails which failed to be processed by the bounce processor?

just the error part

then anyone can look into the bounce rules file and see what needs to be added,
and if @twisted1919 finds this needs to be added, it will probly happen ;)

What I am seeing which was not processed:
Code:
<xxx@citlink.net>: host z-mta.glb.frontiernet.net[199.224.64.198] said: 554
    5.7.1 <xxx@citlink.net>: Recipient address rejected: Account is inactive
    (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Should have been caught by: '/Recipient address rejected/i', (in rules.php BOUNCE_HARD)

Code:
<<< 550 xxx@earthlink.net...Due to extended inactivity new mail is not currently being accepted for this mailbox.
550 5.1.1 xxx@earthlink.net... User unknown
Should have been caught by: '/User unknown/i', (HARD)

Code:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Code:
host 10.0.1.240 [10.0.1.240]: 550 User Unknown

Code:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

xxx@remingtonhotels.com
Should have been caught by: '/Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently/i',

Code:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table
Should have been caught by: '/Recipient address rejected/i',

Would this suggest my bounce processing was not working consistently?

For other cases I see I suggest adding rules for:
550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found
554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop
550 user@email.com... No such user

What I am seeing which was not processed:
Code:
<xxx@citlink.net>: host z-mta.glb.frontiernet.net[199.224.64.198] said: 554
    5.7.1 <xxx@citlink.net>: Recipient address rejected: Account is inactive
    (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Should have been caught by: '/Recipient address rejected/i', (in rules.php BOUNCE_HARD)

Code:
<<< 550 xxx@earthlink.net...Due to extended inactivity new mail is not currently being accepted for this mailbox.
550 5.1.1 xxx@earthlink.net... User unknown

Code:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Code:
host 10.0.1.240 [10.0.1.240]: 550 User Unknown

Code:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

xxx@remingtonhotels.com
Should have been caught by: '/Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently/i',

Code:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table
Should have been caught by: '/Recipient address rejected/i',

Would this suggest my bounce processing was not working consistently?

For other cases I see I suggest adding rules for:
550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found
554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop
550 user@email.com... No such user

what @Matt95c suggests seems right, look for all the data that is needed by mwz (you see it in bounces that go processed, as you have them in your admin account copied)

also, if these are older than the default setting 3 days, then increase that and see if it works after all other things are fixed as well

Back