Sendgrid shared ips : are they crap??

Hello guys,

I was considering using Sendgrid with their shared IP pools until I send enough volume to run on a dedicated IP.

Now it seems like Sendgrid shared IPs have a totally shit reputation, e.g. using the blacklist check here : https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx#

I end up with:

Checking 167.XX.XX.XX against 95 known blacklists...
Listed 7 times with 0 timeouts

7 times is a heck of a lot, and using mail-tester I almost never go above a 7.5 grade... all the -2.5 being due to the IPs being blacklisted somewhere (not the message content or DKIM, SPF configuration).

What ESP do you suggest when the volume sent is not enough to have access to a dedicated IP (or more precisely, the volume is not enough build a reputation) ?

Maybe Mailjet shared IPs are better? What about Amazon SES?

Thanks,

Thing is all the shared ip pools from all providers, not just sendgrid, will end up in various blacklists, but they have their teams to investigate and remove them from there, which means that while today you seen it listed in 7 blacklists, tomorrow can be 0.
If you're using a dedicated ip, you're fully responsible for it, so while the chances to reach the blacklists are slimmer, once you do, it's up to you to remove your dedicated ip from there, there's no team to do it for you as they do it for shared pools.
So both have their pros and cons.

Back