Segments seem lacking a lot of basic functionality

Kane

Is there really no way to set up a segment to exclude subscribers who have received a previous campaign?

Like, I wanted to first send to ~1000 subscribers, so I created a segment where their email started with the letter "b".

Now I want to send to EVERYONE ELSE. How can I do this?

Segmentation is about your subscriber fields only, to filter in relation to them, that's the correct approach for segments.

Anyway, if you would have pay attention to the changelog for version 1.3.5 you would know that starting with that version you can send a campaign to people who opened a certain campaign or did not open certain campaign (you have this available in the confirmation step of the campaign).

Ahh didn't know that! In other email marketing systems I've been able to setup a segment that targeted (or avoided) a previous broadcast. I just assumed it was common functionality.

I'll check out 1.3.5 - thanks!

Have you considered adding negatives for all Condition Operators?

For example, you have "starts with" but not "doesn't start with". You also have "ends with", but not the inverse of "doesn't end with".

If "doesn't start with" was an option, it'd be easy for me to handle my problem, prior to 1.3.5. I could just select all users whose email address didn't start with "b".

We have :
PHP:
const NOT_STARTS_WITH = 'not-starts';
const NOT_ENDS_WITH = 'not-ends';
So have a closer look into that dropdown of operators.

See attached screenshot. Those options don't exist.

FYI I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet...in progress right now...

Attachments

• Screenshot - 2_25_2015 , 10_29_14 AM.png
    Screenshot - 2_25_2015 , 10_29_14 AM.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 20
So the new fields on "Subscriber Confirmation" page allow you to only choose Subscribers that Opened / Unopened a campaign. It would be more useful (at least for us) to choose subscribers that were Sent / Not Sent a campaign.

For email deliverability, it can be bad to send the exact same email to the same recipient (as ISP's can see this), regardless of if they opened it or not. And if they only receive plain-text, there's no way to know if they opened it.

Can this be something added to a future version?

What you say makes sense, if you can, please post your request to feature requests because that's the place where i am looking when i pick features to add.

Thanks.

P.S: Sorry that for this last one didn't read your mind :p

Heh, no apologies necessary, I'm impressed with the support! I'll add it to Feature Requests.

The additions to the segment conditions allow us to do what we need to do for this case, anyways.

Hi @twisted1919 , I wanna re-send a campaign to subscribers that did not open the campaign. I know that at the campaign confirmation step, there is a option to choose those subscribers. However, is this on addition to the subscriber list that I chose at the first step (campaign details)?

My concern is that in the first step, I actually chose back the same subscriber list that I sent the campaign to previously. If at the campaign confirmation step, I choose to send to subscribers that did not open the previous campaign, I'll be sending to these people twice.

The way it works is that at first step you choose the list, then at confirmation step you only see campaigns that have been sent to that list only.
So selecting to send to subscribers that did not open a previous campaign, is somehow sending to same list but to a broad segment, if that makes any sense...

@twisted1919 I don't get your second sentence haha. Does that mean that eventually I'm just sending to that list who has not opened a previous campaign? Which means that they only receive it once?

By the way, if I send to a list (that a previous campaign was sent to and people have unsubscribed from it), the new campaign will only be sent to people who are under "subscribed" status in the list only right?

Does that mean that eventually I'm just sending to that list who has not opened a previous campaign? Which means that they only receive it once?
Yes, that should happen.
the new campaign will only be sent to people who are under "subscribed" status in the list only right?
Yes, always only "confirmed" subscribers will receive emails.

Back