RSS Links Not Recognized

Magicmail

SUMMARY: We can't get Mailwizz to recognize the link [XML_FEED_ITEM_LINK] tag in order to "Change subscriber custom field on link click" in a campaign.

BACKGROUND:

We want to publish a 1-question trivia quiz that will go out to our subscribers daily.

The email would have an image, the question and 4 possible answers.

The subscriber could click on the image, the question or any of the 4 possible answers and be taken to a WordPress page with that has the same question and answers to allow them to make their selection.

Our goal is the have a SINGLE CAMPAIGN that runs daily – we don’t want to build 365 different campaigns just to send these emails out daily.

[XML_FEED_BEGIN url='https://trytrivia.com/category/daily-questions/feed/' count='1']

[XML_FEED_ITEM_CONTENT]​
[COMPANY_FULL_ADDRESS]​
You are subscribed to this email as
Please Click Here to [URL='https://forum.mailwizz.com/%5bUNSUBSCRIBE_URL%5d']Unsubscribe[/URL][/CENTER][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE][/CENTER][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE][/CENTER][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE][/CENTER][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[XML_FEED_END]

[B]ISSUES[/B]:

We want to take several actions when the subscriber clicks on any of the links (update the custom fields LAST_CLICKED date, etc) - we know how, but....

1. Unfortunately, Mailwizz is not recognizing the links inside of the RSS feed which is preventing us from taking these actions.

2. Even if Mailwizz recognized the link, we would like it to recognize the [XML_FEED_ITEM_LINK] tag because the link we are passing will be changing each day.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.
Thanks​

Attachments

• RSS action on click.png
    RSS action on click.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 4
@Magicmail - This is a limitation currently, the RSS feed is parsed only when the campaign is sent, thus we can't populate the links in the dropdown for now.

@twisted1919 and @laurentiu - thank you both very much for looking at this. I imagine that other Mailwizz users who send newsletters would like to use click tracking as well. Is this an enhancement that you think would be easy to do, and if so would it be worthwhile?

If not, is there a different way to accomplish the same goal? I need to know that a link has been clicked and our newsletter (trivia questions) changes daily.

Is this an enhancement that you think would be easy to do, and if so would it be worthwhile?
I think it is something we should have. The problem is parsing the feed at that point, before sending the campaign, since from that point until you send the campaign, feed content can change.
But let me check a few things before and I'll get back to you.

@Magicmail - Ok, we just implemented parsing the feeds when fetching those links, and it works just fine, as expected. We have a few more tests to run and if everything okay, we'll include this in the next release.
Just a heads up, the URL from:
Code:
<a class="es-button es-button-1710273215168" href="https://trytrivia.com/in-which-year-was-the-berlin-wall-torn-down/?utm_source='[EMAIL]'" style="mso-style-priority:100 !important;text-decoration:none;-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;-ms-text-size-adjust:none;mso-line-height-rule:exactly;color:#FFFFFF;font-size:18px;display:block;background:#897ef3;border-radius:10px;font-family:arial, 'helvetica neue', helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;line-height:22px;width:auto;text-align:center;padding:10px 5px;mso-padding-alt:0;mso-border-alt:10px solid #897ef3" target="_blank" rel="noopener">C) 1989</a>
Is not correct since you've added single quotes over the email tag.
It should be:
Code:
<a class="es-button es-button-1710273215168" href="https://trytrivia.com/in-which-year-was-the-berlin-wall-torn-down/?utm_source=[EMAIL]" style="mso-style-priority:100 !important;text-decoration:none;-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;-ms-text-size-adjust:none;mso-line-height-rule:exactly;color:#FFFFFF;font-size:18px;display:block;background:#897ef3;border-radius:10px;font-family:arial, 'helvetica neue', helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;line-height:22px;width:auto;text-align:center;padding:10px 5px;mso-padding-alt:0;mso-border-alt:10px solid #897ef3" target="_blank" rel="noopener">C) 1989</a>
If you can correct your feed, we can then run tests against it directly.

I can confirm this works exactly as expected now. You'll have it in the next MailWizz release, which will be in about 10 days or so.

Back