Rate limiting - Mailwizz vs PMTA setting

bguy

Hey folks. Pretty new to all this but jumping in at the deep end :)

I would like to know people's opinions on rate limiting, whether this should be done at PowerMTA level or at Mailwizz level. I am wanting to warm up IPs so ideally I will follow this:

https://sendgrid.com/docs/assets/IPWarmupSchedule.pdf

Am I right in thinking it really makes no difference where I set the rate limit?

@bguy - Best is to set the limit at MTA level, that's the right place. Mailwizz can do it too, but the mta will always do it better and faster.

P.S: Welcome :)

@twisted1919 Thanks for the quick reply :) I will have a look at doing it via the MTA level - it's a bit of a pain because I am a noob with PMTA lol. Just want to say Mailwizz kicks Interspire into the gutter. I hated using that rubbish!

Edit: Just to add, if Mailwizz sends out 10k emails but the MTA is rate limited, will the MTA just back up the sending queue whilst it sends out emails at the rate defined?

@twisted1919 Thanks for the quick reply :) I will have a look at doing it via the MTA level - it's a bit of a pain because I am a noob with PMTA lol. Just want to say Mailwizz kicks Interspire into the gutter. I hated using that rubbish!

Edit: Just to add, if Mailwizz sends out 10k emails but the MTA is rate limited, will the MTA just back up the sending queue whilst it sends out emails at the rate defined?
It all goes into the MTA queue, so mwz can offload as fast as possible (as fast as your whole setup allows), from there the MTA works it off as per the config ;)

@bguy - Thanks for the kind words :)
As far as i know about pmta, and there are lots of pmta experts on this form ( see this ) so you can ask them too, is that the mta will queue all the messages that mailwizz can send and then will make sure it will send them at a proper pace. usually, mta will be able to accept emails at a higher rate than the email is able to send to it.

@twisted1919 Thanks :) At the moment I have just been using the built in rate limiting on mailwizz and it has been working fine. However when I add new ips to my pool then I will have to configure them in pmta - currently *all* my ips are cold so I am warming them all up in one go. It's been working well so far, my senderscore is looking good, though taking a slight knock from some bounced emails (even though the list was cleaned as good as it could be, can't do much about that)

@twisted1919 Thanks :) At the moment I have just been using the built in rate limiting on mailwizz and it has been working fine. However when I add new ips to my pool then I will have to configure them in pmta - currently *all* my ips are cold so I am warming them all up in one go. It's been working well so far, my senderscore is looking good, though taking a slight knock from some bounced emails (even though the list was cleaned as good as it could be, can't do much about that)
Even the biggest senders are quite careful with new lists/customers and ramp the volume up carefully listening-in, ie you could use your best lists for the majority of the traffic and slowly blend the unknown ones in and see how it goes (and also sort them out)
;)

Definitely, I am ramping up very slowly. At the moment I am sending about 200 an hour after about 6 days, bumping it up slightly each day and watching on the bounce rate etc. I am warming it up with a quality list first :)

the MTA should be handling the throttling limits, its better, because SMTP communication happen between MTAs. from speed, connection, msg and rcpt..

Theres a timing matter. when you deliver all your mail to MTA, there will be a difference in timing, when the message was queued and when it actually gets delivered.

I have not seen any direct effect of this matter to deliverability. but in your MTA you can config to override the message timing.

Definitely, I am ramping up very slowly. At the moment I am sending about 200 an hour after about 6 days, bumping it up slightly each day and watching on the bounce rate etc. I am warming it up with a quality list first :)
pmta15ms.JPG

Check this Image .here incoming to PMTA server is 146,394 max a hour happened from MW. and it delivered at a throttled speed @ 13,519 max a hour.
Hope this cleared your Question :)
Another thing is that I heard from Amazon's Support team that a single dedicated IP can Handle 10M+ a day.
But it should be cultivated proper way with Legitimate Method.
ISP Owner Name Manifest also Important.

We smaller players use new IP blocks that are used by Someone Like us and many times those Blocks went up and down in blacklists and reputation.
So to build a good SMTP I think Amazon's Warmup Suggestion is helpful < Using only active Lists intially and then adding lower % os inactive users >

Back