Problem with setting up cron jobs

dtommy79

I am trying to install mailwizz but I have a problem with cron jobs. When I enter:

crontab -l > mwcron

I get this message: no crontab for root

Can someone tell me step by step how to set this up in command line? The documetation on this is very poor.

Last edited:
@dtommy79 - When you type
Code:
crontab -l > mwcron
You basically export your existing from jobs to a file called mwcron. If you have no crons, you get that error which you have shown above, so you can ignore it and continue with adding the cron jobs as the installer instructs you.
If you forgot what cron jobs you have to add, you can see them in Backend > Misc > Cron jobs list.

Yes, but the next step would be => "add the new entries into the file"
but since I couldn't create the file because of the above error, I'm stuck.

I have the cron jobs from the list, but I have no idea where to add them. The instructions make no sense

@dtommy79 - actually the instructions are very clear, you just have to take the time to read them.
The page says:
If you have a control box like CPanel, Plesk, Webmin etc, you can easily add the cron jobs to the server cron.<br />
In case you have shell access to your server, following commands should help you add the crons easily:
<br /><br />
So it says following commands, which means you will have to start copy/paste some commands into command line.

First one says:
Code:
# copy the current cron into a new file
crontab -l > mwcron
(remember, lines that start with a # are comments, so do not run those)

So you just have to copy the command, which is crontab -l mwcron and run it from command line.
Then continue and run one by one, all the commands the scripts tells you to run.

After the above command, next 5 commands are just echo commands, like:
Code:
echo "* * * * * /usr/bin/php -q ....console.php send-campaigns >/dev/null 2>&1" > mwcron
What those command do is basically they write the line in between the quotes into the mwcron file.

And the last command is:
Code:
crontab mwcron
Which basically takes all the contents of the mwcron file and installs them as cron jobs.

Does this make any sense to you ?

@dtommy79 - actually the instructions are very clear, you just have to take the time to read them.
The page says:

So it says following commands, which means you will have to start copy/paste some commands into command line.

First one says:
Code:
# copy the current cron into a new file
crontab -l > mwcron
(remember, lines that start with a # are comments, so do not run those)

So you just have to copy the command, which is crontab -l mwcron and run it from command line.
Then continue and run one by one, all the commands the scripts tells you to run.

After the above command, next 5 commands are just echo commands, like:
Code:
echo "* * * * * /usr/bin/php -q ....console.php send-campaigns >/dev/null 2>&1" > mwcron
What those command do is basically they write the line in between the quotes into the mwcron file.

And the last command is:
Code:
crontab mwcron
Which basically takes all the contents of the mwcron file and installs them as cron jobs.

Does this make any sense to you ?
very nice info thanks for this

Back