One server with multiple IPs or many servers with single ips?

avidns

Hi all!

New the realm but excited to see what this app can provide. I've tried searching around and haven't found the answer (though I feel like I'm just overlooking it).

I have a VPS pool. It's a program where I can build as many virtual servers (along with splitting resources, etc..) as I want with the only hard limit being the number of IP addresses I have.

I have 16 ip addresses.

Would you recommend setting up a single server and giving that server all 16 IP addresses or creating 16 smaller servers and setting up relays that way?

Again, I'm very new to this so if there's an even better way or another tip/trick you have, please feel free to share. I say that because I'm novice+ when it comes to sysadmin so I'm not sure (yet?) how to split the IPs within a single server to act as relays, though I suspect it may do it automatically (I'm using cPanel).

@avidns - i would simply go with just a single server with 16 ip addresses mainly because if i'd have 16 servers it would be much harder to maintain them all.
1 server with 16 ip addresses, rotating while sending, sounds much more sane to me.

@avidns - i would simply go with just a single server with 16 ip addresses mainly because if i'd have 16 servers it would be much harder to maintain them all.
1 server with 16 ip addresses, rotating while sending, sounds much more sane to me.

You rock, twisted! Thanks for the input!

yes, you can follow that guide for ip rotation. it also depends on what smtp server you are using, some of them will automatically rotate ips for you. you have to check their docs ;)

Back