MW 2.X high-level performance

eggerda

Hello! I have a large installation and send out about 2 million emails per day. As the list has grown, it's obviously taking longer and longer to send this level of email.

It takes about 8 hours to send 1 million.

I was hoping upgrading to 2.X would magically make things faster, but that wasn't the case - yet. :)

I have 16 CPU's (just upgraded from 8) - and the sending speed hasn't increased much.

My cron settings are set to 300 subs at once, 120 batches in parallel. (1 campaign in parallel only)

The bottleneck is the selections towards the END of the job.

Has anyone else noticed that at the beginning of a big send, the selections are much quicker to process a batch... but once you get to about 65% of the send completed, the selections for a batch take so much longer.

What are some things I can try to improve this performance?

1) Would creating a "sending group" help - which would make use of putting emails in some sort of a queue perhaps?

2) How about playing with the # of batches in parallel?

3) Sometimes my segments have 3 criteria, 2 of which are "if a custom field does NOT contain this string". Could this be making things slow?

Any other tips/pointers to bump up speed of these selections toward the end of a job?

Thank you so much!

Dan

1) Would creating a "sending group" help - which would make use of putting emails in some sort of a queue perhaps?
Sending groups are used for another scope: https://www.mailwizz.com/kb/sending-groups/

2) How about playing with the # of batches in parallel?
Can you try to change these setting until you find the best settings for you. https://www.mailwizz.com/kb/understanding-email-delivery-settings-and-how-they-impact-performance/

3) Sometimes my segments have 3 criteria, 2 of which are "if a custom field does NOT contain this string". Could this be making things slow?
Yes, this can be the reason especially if the segment has many conditions or many subscribers to look for.

Any other tips/pointers to bump up speed of these selections toward the end of a job?
Try to change settings from step 2 until you find the best option for you.

@laurentiu @twisted1919 can I try enabling this?

Does this still work in 2.X?

All big campaigns of 1milllion+ always start fast. The selection goes quickly, and batches get processed more often resulting in high number of emails sent per hour.

As the campaign gets past 50% - each batch takes much longer to select - I assume it's the joins to see who has already received the email.

Would this queue table solve this issue? How risky is it to enable this?

Thank you!

Dan

@twisted1919 I see queue tables isn't recommended anymore from a previous thread about removing them. I'm having some struggles with sending speeds since the upgrade to 2.X. Our sends are now taking about 2 hours longer... I did bump up batches in parallel from 90 to 120...so maybe that caused the slowdown.

But at some point - I need to find a way to make this selection go faster between batches (it takes 30 minutes to populate the batches with data.
It seems as though queue tables, just using them for REGULAR campaigns might be a solution for LARGE regular campaigns.

Any thoughts on this - or the ability to enable this JUST for regular campaigns and NOT autoresponders?

Let me know your thoughts... getting a bit desperate here. :)
Thank you! - Dan

Any thoughts on this - or the ability to enable this JUST for regular campaigns and NOT autoresponders?
Yeah, this is something we're thinking about right now, we're weighting the pros and cons and see what we can do.

Back