Multiple small issues -- seeking wisdom (or a consultant!)

ggwwbb

I've had good -- well, fantastic, really -- luck with Mailwizz connected to SES. I really can't say enough good things about the software.

But my efforts with home-grown Postfix servers haven't been successful. Hoping someone can clarify my questions or message me about fixing things on a paid-project basis. My questions below are a mix of Mailwizz questions and MTA-setup questions.

SETUP: Mailwizz on a core "infrastructure" domain (example.com) and MTAs (one Postfix instance each) on mta1.example.com, mta2.example.com, etc.

USE PATTERN: Just what Mailwizz was meant for: I want to send mail from somedomain.com, someotherdomain.com, etc. through the example.com MTAs.

CURRENT ISSUES:

Mail isn't DKIM signed. I thought the MTAs didn't need DKIM signing because the core example.com Mailwizz host was signed and Mailwizz created DKIM records for the domains we want to send on behalf of, which we then implemented in DNS. However, test mails get dinged for no DKIM signature. Is the solution to this as simple as installing DKIM on all MTAs? How does this related to forcing signing while setting up an MTA in Mailwizz? And does it matter that the DKIM will sign for the domain of the MTA rather than the domain of the transmitted mail?

Delivery servers force the from address in their settings no matter what the campaign settings are. So although Mail is being sent from someone@somedomain.com and the reply-to function works correctly, mail shows up in inboxes as "Jane Doe" <postmaster@example.com>. Is the solution something along the lines of every domain we send mail for having its own delivery server set up in Mailwizz? And, assuming we do that, is it fine to essentially have the same MTA listed multiple times but with different FROM addresses? (I suppose if we did that we'd need to make sure we were using the right domain-specific delivery server for each campaign.

The bounce-server address shows up in the header as "from: bounces@example.com" and mail-tester.com says "bounces@example.com is authorized to send mail." I assume this is just mail-tester.com not paying attention to the correct sender that we've plugged, in, but wanted to make sure it didn't represent a problem.

If you've read this far? many thanks!!

However, test mails get dinged for no DKIM signature.
Did you create sending domains for your sending domains in mailwizz, and then put the generated dkim records in dns?
Is the solution to this as simple as installing DKIM on all MTAs?
That's the way you should do it as signing at mta level is much faster than signing in mailwizz.

And does it matter that the DKIM will sign for the domain of the MTA rather than the domain of the transmitted mail?
You need to sign the domain in the email, not the one where mailwizz is hosted.

Delivery servers force the from address in their settings no matter what the campaign settings are
There is a setting in the delivery server which says "Force FROM" which by default is Always. You need Never for this. BUT keep in mind your smtp server must allow this behavior, so test this to make sure.

The bounce-server address shows up in the header as "from: bounces@example.com" and mail-tester.com says "bounces@example.com is authorized to send mail."
Generally speaking, the real sender of the email is the email address showing up in the Return-Path header since that's where the email returns if any issue.

Back