Move Mailwizz to new Vistual Server on Amazon

Papapooch

Hi all. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. We have been running MW for about 6 months and have run 590 campaigns with 1.5 million subscribers. The database, and in particular the Campaign Delivery Log is growing large, about 6 GB. We have noticed a slowdown in processing...sometimes the Backend interface really bogs down and Export queries on All Subscribers fail or timeout. The current server has 8 GB of RAM and I have allocated 5 GB to innodb_buffer_pool_size. I do not know how to change other memory settings. We are thinking of moving MW to a larger EC2 instance with 30 GB of memory. Do you think that would help?

We cannot simply move the server snapshot to the new VM. So what would be the easiest way to move Mailwizz and all its data to the new server?? Can we just copy all the WWW files and also the Database? Or must we go through the install process again? Thanks

Hello Papapooch,

You need to config your new VPS and optimize it.

To shift your MW to new VM, you don't need to install it again.

You can copy www folder files and move to new VM.

Same way you can export DB and import in new VM via command prompt.

Thanks for those responses.
I have used Microsoft SQL Server for almost 20 years. To copy a database we simply detach the database and copy the MDF and NDF files to the new server. Does MySQL also use files that we can detach and reattach?

@Papapooch - yeah, mysql also has files you can copy over, but it's a bit tricky. Best is to simply use the command line tools to export the database then use the command line tools to import it back, i.e:
Code:
# To export: 
mysqldump -u user -p DATABASE > backup.sql

# To import: 
mysql -u user -p DATABASE < backup.sql

OK I got everything moved and the services running.
Exported and imported the mailwizz database.
Copied all the www/html files over.
But I'm getting an error "CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection.".

I changed the password for the "root" mysql user from the original VPS. Will that make the connection fail?
Of course the IP address of the VPS is different.
And the sub-domain pointed to it is mailer.causeaction.com instead of email.causeaction.com.

Or is there some other thing I must run to set the DB connection info for MW?

Thanks

OK I got everything moved and the services running.
Exported and imported the mailwizz database.
Copied all the www/html files over.
But I'm getting an error "CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection.".

I changed the password for the "root" mysql user from the original VPS. Will that make the connection fail?
Of course the IP address of the VPS is different.
And the sub-domain pointed to it is mailer.causeaction.com instead of email.causeaction.com.

Or is there some other thing I must run to set the DB connection info for MW?

Thanks
# check mwz config file for correct dbf access settings
# also redo system urls w/i mwz

@frm.mwz
RE: "# check mwz config file for correct dbf access settings"
Thanks for that info. But I have no idea where the "config" file might be. I have been looking through all the files that I transferred from /var/www/html on the old server to the new one. Lot's of PHP files there but I cannot find config. I looked under /etc for a "mailwizz" folder but do not see one.

And i presume that "# also redo system urls w/i mwz" will come after I fix the "CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection." problem.
Thanks

RE: "# check mwz config file for correct dbf access settings"
Thanks for that info. But I have no idea where the "config" file might be. I have been looking through all the files that I transferred from /var/www/html on the old server to the new one. Lot's of PHP files there but I cannot find config. I looked under /etc for a "mailwizz" folder but do not see one.
try this one
/path/to/your/webroot/apps/common/config/main-custom.php

And i presume that "# also redo system urls w/i mwz" will come after I fix the "CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection." problem.
yes

:)

@frm.mwz @twisted1919
Thanks guys. I got the database connection to work. I have logged into the Console and created a test campaign to only 8 subscribers. But it is just sitting there for 30 minutes "Pending".

Note: I pointed the domain we have been using on the old server email.causeaction.com to the new IP address...54.156.16.7 so I would not have to reconfigure the URLs in MW.

Amazon SES has no record of receiving the 8 emails today for processing...so it seems they have not left our MW server.
Do you think the new IP address, even with the same Sending Domain is causing a problem?
Is it a configuration in MW?

We are trying to go live with this server today...so I won't have to Export/Import the entire database from the Old server all over again.
Any help is appreciated.

Ooohh! I think I know what it is. I haven't set up the Cron jobs on the new server. You Linux guys would say...sheeesh...of course already. Now I just have to find out where those instructions are.o_O

Papapooch You can step easy --

login ssh root

crontab -l ----- Displays the current cron jobs.
crontab -e ------ To edit the cron jobs.
crontab -r -------- To remove cron jobs.

https://xxxxxxxxx/backend/index.php/misc/cron-jobs-list
change ur directory
------ following cron jobs for MW------------

* * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php send-campaigns >/dev/null 2>&1
*/2 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php send-transactional-emails >/dev/null 2>&1
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php bounce-handler >/dev/null 2>&1
*/20 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php feedback-loop-handler >/dev/null 2>&1
*/3 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php process-delivery-and-bounce-log >/dev/null 2>&1
0 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php hourly >/dev/null 2>&1
0 0 * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php daily >/dev/null 2>&1
0 */1 * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php email-blacklist-monitor >/dev/null 2>&1
*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php list-import folder >/dev/null 2>&1
0 0 * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/xxxxxxxxx/apps/console/console.php list-import url >/dev/null 2>&1

-------------------

Thanks

Papapooch last 3 extra Cron jobs

1 . email-blacklist-monitor
2. import subscribers from folder
3. import subscribers list-import url
if you want you can contact with me in skype
Thanks

oops...I see in the Campiagns delivery Log error messages like...

cURL not available, please install cURL and try again!
and from another SMTP relay...
The PHP cURL extension must be installed to use Guzzle.

Well I did
sudo apt-get install php7.0-curl
and that seemed to fix it. I thought Curl was already in there...but maybe not.

Thanks guys

@sharif
Wow I ran the requirements checker. I was missing at this point only the Archive Manager.
But when I search for Archive manager in the Packages I see these choices. I am inclined to select the PHP version of File Manager.

Name Description
engrampa archive manager for MATE
engrampa-common archive manager for MATE (common files)
engrampa-dbg archive manager for MATE (debugging symbols)
file-roller archive manager for GNOME
php-pclzip ZIP archive manager class for PHP
zipper.app Archive manager for GNUstep

Back