"Mark as spam" button (actually using Unsubscribe URL link)

Hello guys,

I remember a long time ago some people used to have 2 buttons/links in their emails :
- Unsubscribe
- Mark as spam

with both link actually having the same "ahref" : the unsubscribe URL...

My guess is it was to lower the "real" spam complaint rate by giving people the ability to click on a (look-alike / fake) "mark as spam" button which wouldn't really trigger any spam complaint but would give you some way to unsubscribe people which don't want your emails.

Even if my list is an optin list, I'll have to deal with haters which will, more than likely, click the Spam button just to make my life miserable so I was considering using this trick.

Anyone can confirm if it's still useful or if it's not good at all anymore??

Thanks a lot,

I think that's exactly what it is... a trick — and these days tricking people in email is a quick way to get in trouble. I haven't ever had a direct "Mark as Spam" link in my emails (just an "Unsubscribe" link). Some email clients have "Mark as Spam" buttons, so I figure if someone wants to mark me they'll figure out how to do it. Otherwise, I don't make it easy for them (I've heard of people hitting the spam link instead of the unsubscribe because they think it'll work faster or something).

I think that's exactly what it is... a trick — and these days tricking people in email is a quick way to get in trouble. I haven't ever had a direct "Mark as Spam" link in my emails (just an "Unsubscribe" link). Some email clients have "Mark as Spam" buttons, so I figure if someone wants to mark me they'll figure out how to do it. Otherwise, I don't make it easy for them (I've heard of people hitting the spam link instead of the unsubscribe because they think it'll work faster or something).
Moreover, I'd see absolutely no reason to put a "mark as spam" link in my emails while my list entirely 100% opted-in customers.

That would look very odd imho.

Andy

Moreover, I'd see absolutely no reason to put a "mark as spam" link in my emails while my list entirely 100% opted-in customers.

That would look very odd imho.

Andy

That's because you don't deal with a sensitive issue for which some people, despite having opted in, could still mark your mail as spam just because they don't agree with whatever you're saying.

That's because you don't deal with a sensitive issue for which some people, despite having opted in, could still mark your mail as spam just because they don't agree with whatever you're saying.
Well, yes, I do! loll

But that would still look weird, and even more it could be interpreted, or suggesting, that you do send spam, indeed. (not saying that you do)

It's my two cents, you can use it in your emails if you will. Make a split test and see.

Back