Main Mailwizz server got blocked(port 25)

dante

Hi,

I think I messed up some setting in mailwizz but don't remember doing so. Although I do remember setting the "Send at one" to 0 under delivery servers, I thought it wouldn't matter cause even if I set it to unlimited it has to follow the limits set by my SMTP config.

My main app in hosted at OVH but don't have delivery server with them, just using them for mailwizz app hosting. Today I got mail from them(automated I think) that they blocked port 25 cause of spam mails received from their IP, I immediately logged into MW and saw that my campaign stopped sending after 1k emails(total list is around 300k).

So my question is, why MW is sending from the host server even though I haven't configured it, I have added one delivery server from other provider so its not that I don't have any delivery server and so its sending from the host server(which makes sense).

SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting Connection: opening to server.mydomain.com:25, timeout=30, options=array ( 'ssl' => array ( 'verify_peer' => false, 'verify_peer_name' => false, 'allow_self_signed' => true, ),) Connection: Failed to connect to server. Error number 2. "Error notice: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to server.mydomain.com:25 (Connection timed out) SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection timed out (110)

Not an answer to your question, but...

Yes, OVH doesn't like email marketers if they send the emails from their servers, but if you have an external delivery server they don't mind. At least this is what they have told me.

What delivery server provider do you use? Perhaps you can use the API in Mailwizz instead. If you look at delivery service providers they say that there is a factor 3 in speed between sending via SMTP and API. I don't know if that's correct.

Not an answer to your question, but...

Yes, OVH doesn't like email marketers if they send the emails from their servers, but if you have an external delivery server they don't mind. At least this is what they have told me.

What delivery server provider do you use? Perhaps you can use the API in Mailwizz instead. If you look at delivery service providers they say that there is a factor 3 in speed between sending via SMTP and API. I don't know if that's correct.
thanks for your reply...

Well actually thats not true as I did use OVH in the past(last year) for mailing and did not have issues, but as of now I didnt use it, I am sure I messed up some setting in backend.

Also, how to use the API? I used the server from Joes Datacenter.

So my question is, why MW is sending from the host server even though I haven't configured it,
It doesn't. It connects to your smtp server and sends the email. Your smtp server instead will know from where the email came from and add that info in the headers, and this is how the end recipiend knows the original source of the email.

It doesn't. It connects to your smtp server and sends the email. Your smtp server instead will know from where the email came from and add that info in the headers, and this is how the end recipiend knows the original source of the email.
I see, but how does my main server sending the mails and how do I stop it from doing so?
Although in the unsub link it shows my server's main ip address instead of website link.

They have blocked my main IP on which MW is hosted, not sure how it will affect my mailing?

How does the link look like?
if you go to backend > settings > sync urls, what do you see ?
It showed the ip of the server but I clicked "Regenrate URL's" and now it shows website url.. thankss
but any insight on the main issue? I am clueless and worried that if I add any new delivery servers it still wont send anything...

I see, but how does my main server sending the mails and how do I stop it from doing so?
It does not unless you have added it as a delivery server, which i doubt, right ?
Now that you have regenerated the urls, things should be fine given you can now connect on port 25.

It does not unless you have added it as a delivery server, which i doubt, right ?
Now that you have regenerated the urls, things should be fine given you can now connect on port 25.
Oh so that was the issue? Dunno why it happened now and not before...
The port is still blocked but that should not be an issue considering I dont use it to mail right?

P.S: Don't access your mailwizz app using the IP address anymore. use the hostname.
Yep, I always use the URL but lately sometimes it auto switches to IP based URL whenever I am browsing the backend links...

Hi again guys,

OVH said they unblocked my port 25 and the ip but I am not able to validate a new smtp I am trying to add.

• Cannot send the confirmation email using the data you provided.
  • Here is a transcript of the error message:
  • SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
    SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
    Connection: opening to server.mydomain.com:25, timeout=30, options=array ( 'ssl' => array ( 'verify_peer' => false, 'verify_peer_name' => false, 'allow_self_signed' => true, ),)
    Connection: opened
    SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is ""
    SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is ""
    SMTP -> get_lines(): timed-out (30 sec)
    SERVER -> CLIENT:
    CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO ~.
    SMTP ERROR: EHLO command failed:
    SMTP NOTICE: EOF caught while checking if connected
    Connection: closed

is it an issue of my SMTP or is there issue with my mailwizz host server(OVH)?

Update:

Got blocked again wtf :/
I created a campaign again today and after 135 mails sent, i got email that they blocked my port 25 again.
Really would like to solve on what I am doing wrong here.

delivery service providers they say that there is a factor 3 in speed between sending via SMTP and API. I don't know if that's correct
Some are faster with SMTP, some with Web API, it depends on multiple factors, which is why testing is necessary.

Update:

Got blocked again wtf :/
I created a campaign again today and after 135 mails sent, i got email that they blocked my port 25 again.
Really would like to solve on what I am doing wrong here.
Try using SSL/465 or TLS/587 (or sometimes 2525 or whatever alternative port they specify and your firewall will let through).
;)

Back