Mailwizz 1.3.7.8 - Step by Step Tutorial

Hi Everybody,

At first place I want to give thanks to Mr. Christian Serban (@twisted1919) for creating and maintaining such a great piece of software called Mailwizz.

As a way to return all the help and support received by this forum and by their users, today I started to publish & share this Step by Step tutorial with the Mailwizz community, to show how to install Mailwizz version 1.3.7.8 with PCNTL from scratch.

I want to apologize for my poor knowledge on english writing. I know it is not good, but please consider I am only a chilean guy that speaks and write only in spanish most of the time. I will try to do my best effort to be understandable enough for all english people that will follow this tutorial.

I am willing to receive and accept all type of kind corrections to do of this tutorial a great starting point for all people that want to give Mailwizz a try.

Thanks a Lot !

[Nov 12, 2016)

Hardware Requirements:

A size L, Open-VZ based, Linux based VPS from www.time4vps.eu, starting at EUR 7.99 / month with following specs:

- 3 x 2.40 GHz cpu cores
- 4 GB Ram
- 160 GB HD
- 200 Mbps Network Speed
- 1 TB Monthly transfer

Software Requirements:

- Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 64 bits (Minimized version)
- VestaCP 9.8.16 Control Panel installed on top of fresh install of Ubuntu server, with:
---- Apache 2.4.7
---- Mod_fcgid 2.3.9
---- PHP 5.5.9
---- OpenSSL 1.0.1f
---- Percona Server 5.5 (Updated MySQL Database)

[CONTENTS]

Chapter I: VPS Configuration

1. How to signup for a new account with Time4VPS
2. How to create your first VPS Server
3. How to check if the assigned IP address is on some Blacklist
4. How to create and configure the DNS zone for your domain
5. How to setup the reverse DNS and PTR record for your VPS
6. How to install the Ubuntu 14.04 operating system to your VPS
7. How to connect to your VPS for the first time using Putty
8. How to change the default password of your VPS
9. How to change the default Ubuntu Repositories to a stable config
10. How to add the GPG key for the new repositories
11. How to minimize the operating system to a minimal install
12. How to install some basic utilities onto your VPS
13. How to install the VestaCP control panel on your VPS

Last edited:
[Nov 12, 2016)

Section 1: How to signup for a new account with Time4VPS

iFZRmD.jpg

Step 1: Visit www.time4vps.eu

Step 2: Click on Sign-Up and Create a new Account

Fill in all fields

Password requires at least one lowercase character
Password requires at least one uppercase character
Password is minimum is 8 characters
Password requires at least one uppercase character

The most important field is the phone number, to be able to get the verification call and activation SMS that will be sent later.

Phone format must be:

COUNTRY_CODE+AREA_CODE+CEL_NUMBER

example: 56945459195

56 = country code
9 = area code
45459195 = cell phone number with 8 digits

Step 3: Click on Register button

You will see following screen:

gQuUBf.jpg

Step 4: Check your mailbox and Activate your account

Time4VPS will send you an email with subject "Your account needs activation"

You must click the activation link to confirm your email and activate your account

After you activate your account will receive a second email confirming that your account was activated.

##########################
Dear Carlos Alvarez,

Your new account has been setup and you can now login to the client area using the details below:

Email Address: carlos.alvarez@megatek.cl
Login: https://billing.time4vps.eu/clientarea/

##########################

Step 5: Phone Call and SMS

Finally, you will receive an international phone call from Time4VPS to the cell phone number you entered during registration step and be given a four digit code to confirm your cell phone number.

If you can not ear the code during the phone call , you will also have the option to get the confirmation code from an SMS sent to your phone.

After receive the code by SMS you must enter this code inside your Time4VPS account to enable SMS reminders when your VPS service period be soon to expire.

Last edited:
CHAPTER I : VPS Configuration
Section 2. How to create your first VPS server

Step 1: Login to your Time4VPS account

VkA9GB.jpg

Step 2: Make click over "Place a new order button"

kgJtAe.jpg

Step 3: Choose the VPS server with size/name "S" that will cost you EUR 1.99 monthly.

A8EVKO.jpg

Step 4: Confirm your VPS order making click over "Continue" green color button

nFf974.jpg

Step 5: Choose your Payment method (I choose Paypal)

f2vgay.jpg

Step 6: Confirm that you accept the Time4VPS Terms & Conditions and click Checkout to get your Order Confirmation

wTSp3X.jpg

Step 7: Get your Order Confirmation and now click "Submit Payment" on upper-right corner:

Step 8: Make your payment using your Paypal Account

You can click on button "Paypal Subscribe" to make an automatic monthly payment

You can click on button "Paypal check-Out" to make a One Time payment...

5izNmv.jpg

Step 9: Process your payment using your Paypal account credentials

D2P8Ku.jpg

Step 10: After your payment you will be redirected to this page:

6rGM0p.jpg

Step 11. Be sure to make click over "Back to client Area" to go to your Time4VPS Control Panel and proceed to check your just created VPS server...

Last edited:

Step 1: Check the IP assigned to your VPS

Login to your Time4VPS account and enter to "MyServices" section, then open your just created VPS.

For this example I will use the VPS called 28377.s.t4vps.eu and open its control panel with one click over the assigned name:

Make click over: your_vps_assigned_number.s.t4vps.eu to see the details of the VPS...

EPzZTs.jpg

Now copy the assigned IP:

ys3B0x.jpg

Step 2: Check the assigned IP against know blacklists to see if it listed

Now you can go to http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists and check the IP address assigned to your VPS to see if it is on some blacklist

fNxOKA.jpg

mwLI9q.jpg

Last edited:

Now we are going to configure the DNS zone inside the DNS Manager offered for free for TIME4VPS provider.

Step 1: Go to the DNS Manager inside your "MyServices" section in the control panel

r7NE81.jpg

Step 2: Open the DNS Manager

ftaMAL.jpg

Step 3: Add your domain into the DNS Manager

khN9Go.jpg

Step 4: Change the DNS servers of your domain inside your Domain's Registrar's Control Panel

You must use:

DNS 1: ns1.time4vps.eu
DNS 2: ns2.time4vps.eu

Step 5: Wait between 8 to 24 hours so the changes to DNS servers of your domain takes effect.

Step 6: Configure your DNS ZONE as below (always using your VPS assigned IP address and your own domain). As a minimum, your DNS zone must look like this:

SPhQ5p.jpg

OSku0V.jpg

TuVxUO.jpg

7ctKsr.jpg

Last edited:

Now, you must change the hostname to your VPS server, as below:

Step 1: Open your VPS control panel

i39mQH.jpg

Step 2: CLick on "Hostname"

ahlX46.jpg

Step 3: Change the hostname (Reverse DNS / PTR) to your vps name:

Example: I change the name from 28377.s.t4vps.eu to mx16.marketingxemail.cl

You must use you own name, like mail.yourdomain.com

Remeber that previously you must have an A record named mail.yourdomain.com and must be pointing to your VPS IP address before to do this change of hostname to your vps.

hEOMfT.jpg

If the hostname (Reverse DNS / PTR) change is accepted, then you will see the following message:

ELhF2S.jpg

6. How to install the operating system to your VPS (Ubuntu Server v14.04 - 64 bits)

Step 1: You must open your VPS control panel and make click on "Install OS" button located inside the "Service Details" area:

KdhsRU.jpg

Step 2: Now you must select an operating system to be installed into your VPS. For this tutorial we are going to use Ubuntu 14.04 - 64 bits, as the operating system for our VPS:

Ac3IZ5.jpg

You must press the "YES" answer to the question "Are you sure you want to reinstall server? and then press the "Continue" button to execute the installation.

Step 3: OS Install Confirmation
stmvl3.jpg

Step 4: After 5 minutes, you can press the button "Installation Results" to see the installation details, alog with the IPv4 address, username and password to be able to connect to the VPS on a later step.

IDzFoT.jpg

Last edited:

Now we need to connect to our VPS server using some SSH client. I will use PUTTY, a easy ssh client for Windows.
You can download putty from www.putty.org

You need to download and install PUTTY on your notebook or computer, and then run it and you will see:

fi19vx.jpg

Before open the connection with our VPS server we need to adjust some connection parameters as below:
Left Menu > Connection > Seconds between keep_alives = 3

bGn94j.jpg

Now go back to session:

Left Menu > Session > Hostname or IP Address: mail.yourdomain.com
Left Menu > Session > Port: 22

Now we can establish the connection to our VPS using "Open" button

You will be asked for your user name and your password. Enter your credentials and the vps will show you a screen like that:

D6Nn4t.jpg

Now we are connected to our VPS and we can start with the next part of this tutorial.

Now that you are connected to your VPS you can enter the command below to change the default vps password (that was assigned automatically during vps OS install) to one of your preference:

# sudo passwd

9. How to change the Ubuntu repositories to a stable and complete configuration (recommended repos):

You must issue the command below, exactly as it is (ALL TEXT IS ONE COMMAND):

echo -e "
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# OFFICIAL UBUNTU REPOS #
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

###### Ubuntu Main Repos
deb http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main restricted universe multiverse

###### Ubuntu Update Repos
deb http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-proposed main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-proposed main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://pl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

###### Ubuntu Partner Repo
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu trusty partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu trusty partner

###### Ubuntu Extras Repo
deb http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main
" > /etc/apt/sources.list

Last edited:

You must run the command below:

apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 16126D3A3E5C1192

Run the following command as ONE COMMAND to minimize the Ubuntu OS before to install the Vesta Control Panel to avoid software conflicts:

apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get remove --purge -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" apache2 apache2-bin apache2-data apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apt-utils bind9 bind9-host bind9utils binutils bsd-mailx bsdmainutils bzip2 ca-certificates console-common console-data console-setup cracklib-runtime cron db-util db5.3-util debconf-utils dialog expat fetchmail file finger fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu fonts-dejavu-core fonts-dejavu-extra fonts-freefont-ttf ftp gettext groff-base info iputils-arping iputils-tracepath isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common kbd keyboard-configuration ldap-utils less libapr1:amd64 libaprutil1:amd64 libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3:amd64 libaprutil1-ldap:amd64 libapt-inst1.5:amd64 libavahi-client3:amd64 libavahi-common-data:amd64 libavahi-common3:amd64 libbind9-90 libbsd0:amd64 libcrack2:amd64 libcroco3:amd64 libcups2:amd64 libdns100 libfile-copy-recursive-perl libfontconfig1:amd64 libfreetype6:amd64 libgeoip1:amd64 libglib2.0-0:amd64 libgmp10:amd64 libgomp1:amd64 libgssglue1:amd64 libhdb9-heimdal:amd64 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90 libkdc2-heimdal:amd64 libldb1:amd64 liblockfile-bin liblockfile1:amd64 libltdl7:amd64 liblwres90 libmagic1:amd64 libntdb1:amd64 libodbc1:amd64 libpaper1:amd64 libpcap0.8:amd64 libperl5.18 libpipeline1:amd64 libpopt0:amd64 libpython-stdlib:amd64 libsensors4:amd64 libsnmp-base libsnmp30:amd64 libtalloc2:amd64 libtdb1:amd64 libtevent0:amd64 libtirpc1:amd64 libunistring0:amd64 libwbclient0:amd64 libxml2:amd64 logrotate lynx lynx-cur m4 make man-db manpages memtester mlocate mtools ncurses-term odbcinst odbcinst1debian2:amd64 openssl openssl-blacklist postfix procmail psutils pwgen python python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-minimal python-ntdb python-talloc python-tdb python2.7 python2.7-minimal rpcbind rsync sasl2-bin screen sharutils snmp ssl-cert sudo syslinux syslinux-common tcpdump tcsh tdb-tools telnet tofrodos traceroute ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-core ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-freefont unixodbc unzip update-inetd uuid-runtime whois wide-dhcpv6-client xinetd xkb-data; apt-get clean

Run the following command to install some basic utilities to work with stats, files and do some speed tests:

apt-get install dnsutils glances nano zip curl python-pip -y && pip install speedtest-cli

Run the following command (from curl to now) to install VESTACP control panel onto your VPS:

curl -O http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh && bash vst-install.sh --nginx yes --apache yes --phpfpm no --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --exim yes --dovecot yes --spamassassin no --clamav no --named yes --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --mysql yes --postgresql no --remi yes --quota no --hostname mail.yourdomain.com --email your_own_email@yourdomain.com --password xxx*xxx && update-rc.d mysql disable && shutdown -r now

#### YOU MUST REPLACE mail.yourdomain.com WITH YOUR OWN DOMAIN ####
#### YOU MUST REPLACE your_own_email@yourdomain.com WITH YOUR OWN EMAIL ACCOUNT ####
#### YOU MUST REPLACE xxx*xxx WITH YOUR OWN PASSWORD ####

You will be presented with the following screen: Press Y to confirm the VestaCP install:

vmOQwn.jpg

Now sit and wait between 5 to 15 minutes and the control panel will be ready to be used at:
http://mail.yourdomain.com:8083

Hi Everybody,

At first place I want to give thanks to Mr. Christian Serban (@twisted1919) for creating and maintaining such a great piece of software called Mailwizz.

As a way to return all the help and support received by this forum and by their users, today I started to publish & share this Step by Step tutorial with the Mailwizz community, to show how to install Mailwizz version 1.3.7.8 with PCNTL from scratch.

I want to apologize for my poor knowledge on english writing. I know it is not good, but please consider I am only a chilean guy that speaks and write only in spanish most of the time. I will try to do my best effort to be understandable enough for all english people that will follow this tutorial.

I am willing to receive and accept all type of kind corrections to do of this tutorial a great starting point for all people that want to give Mailwizz a try.

Thanks a Lot !

[Nov 12, 2016)

Hardware Requirements:

A size L, Open-VZ based, Linux based VPS from www.time4vps.eu, starting at EUR 7.99 / month with following specs:

- 3 x 2.40 GHz cpu cores
- 4 GB Ram
- 160 GB HD
- 200 Mbps Network Speed
- 1 TB Monthly transfer

Software Requirements:

- VestaCP 9.8.16 Control Panel installed on top of fresh install of Ubuntu server, with:
---- Apache 2.4.7
---- Mod_fcgid 2.3.9
---- PHP 5.5.9
---- OpenSSL 1.0.1f

[CONTENTS]

Very, very nicely done, kudos Maestro Carlos :cool:
Now you can put it into the manual
https://forum.mailwizz.com/threads/guides-to-mailwizz.2976
if you wish, as it has mostly a customer section so far, but your setup guide would really add to it ;)

Last edited:
Hi @carlos alvarez
Hi Everybody,

Thanks a Lot !

[Nov 12, 2016)

Hardware Requirements:

- 3 x 2.40 GHz cpu cores
- 4 GB Ram
- 160 GB HD
- 200 Mbps Network Speed
- 1 TB Monthly transfer

Software Requirements:

---- Apache 2.4.7
---- Mod_fcgid 2.3.9
---- PHP 5.5.9
---- OpenSSL 1.0.1f

[CONTENTS]

+1000
A really very good tutorial. Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing it with community.

Back