Mailwiz 1.X > should I upgrade to 2.X?

eggerda

Hello, long time MailWiz user, happy for many years on the latest version of 1.X. I notice there haven't been software updates since last November, so I'm wondering how everyone's experience is with 2.X?

What does it do better than MailWiz 1.X? Or should I just continue to be happy with MailWiz 1.X? Thank you!

Dan

My opinion is you should upgrade, it's important you always use latest version of the app because it contains fixes and improvements.
As for v2 of the app, there are just too many new good things to miss out, and then also there are many upcoming ones(i.e: ip warmup plans) which you'll miss if you don't upgrade.

I know you do have a large application and upgrading isn't that simple, but you should try it on a different server, restore your existing app from a backup, upgrade it and play with it for a while, then when you are ready, make the move on the live application.

We also have a very good upgrade guide with proper notes as to what to do when upgrading from 1.x to 2.x.
If you have particular concerns, please ask here ;)

@twisted1919 ok, looking at the upgrading 1.x to 2.x guide now to see what this will take. I've got my MailWiz app to work perfectly with standard configurations - no modification or add ons. So hopefully upgrading won't break anything? Is all core 1.X functionality still there in 2.X?

ARe you done releasing updates for 1.X? If so, I need to look seriously at this.

Final question... I uuse PowerMTA to use the mailwizz API to mark bounces in real time. Would that API still work? (It's standard, nothing modified, standard MailWiz 1.X API.)

So hopefully upgrading won't break anything?
Correct. But follow the upgrade guide to the letter, if you do, no reason for things to break. But backup :)

Is all core 1.X functionality still there in 2.X?
Sure, but improved.

ARe you done releasing updates for 1.X? If so, I need to look seriously at this.
Yes, we won't be releasing any new 1.x versions unless something major happens, like really major.
If we release constant updates for 1.x, people will never upgrade.

Would that API still work?
Yes, MailWizz 1.x api is fully compatible with 2.x. The API Client for 1.x can be used for 2.x connections.
However, since we have an updated API Client for 2.x, you should look into using that as well, see: https://github.com/ems-api/php-client
In 2.x there's no public/private keys anymore, just an api key.

If you have future questions, let me know.

@twisted1919 thank you for this. We are doing a test upgrade on a new droplet this week.

It sounds like everything we have setup should work exactly as it did - regarding out of the box mailwizz. It sounds like the DB has been reorganized and there are more efficiencies now in 2.X.

Final questions are regarding performance/sending speed.

Our database is growing, many more emails being sent. MailWizz 1.X is still handling it just fine (as I can tell before the updates stopped, some better efficiency had been achieved...)

Is MailWizz 2.X even more efficient/faster with selections and sending speed for big broadcasts - from what you have seen? Is there a 2.X specific optimization guide to maximize performance - or is it pretty much the same as the 1.X guidelines?

And... are there any server infrastructure we should look into specifically for MailWizz 2.x (i.e. hosting the DB on it's own server - like a load balancing type of situation?) - I've heard tales of very fast sending speeds... so just interested in the current best practices for larger installations, related to 2.X.

Thanks for any guidance here! :)

Dan

Is MailWizz 2.X even more efficient/faster with selections and sending speed for big broadcasts - from what you have seen? Is there a 2.X specific optimization guide to maximize performance - or is it pretty much the same as the 1.X guidelines?
Here are the main changes for V2: https://www.mailwizz.com/blog/mailwizz-2.0-is-here/
Please read the Announcements forum section for the main changes that happened since its release:https://forum.mailwizz.com/forums/announcements/

s MailWizz 2.X even more efficient/faster with selections and sending speed for big broadcasts - from what you have seen? Is there a 2.X specific optimization guide to maximize performance - or is it pretty much the same as the 1.X guidelines?
It is much faster, see the article above.

But there is nothing special that needs to be done as server settings and infrastructure. Everything that was advisable for the V1 applies also for V2 and viceversa. The ONLY thing that is required for V2 is a PHP version higher than 7.2.

Cosmin

@ghimes & @twisted1919 thank you for the info! I've copied my MW installation to a test subdomain and upgraded, it went just as well as it always does. I'm glad MailWizz still looks/feels the same! Feeling confident about upgrading here.

Some final questions about cron jobs.
Here are 3 that @twisted1919 had setup for me - the autoresponder one he created for me. I wanted to make sure these are all still supported by mailwizz 2.X?

Runs once per day to remove old mutexes that were taking up so many inodes we had an issue.

/apps/console/console.php delete-mutexes >/dev/null 2>&1

Deleting moved subscribers (we do lots of list moving using out of the box actions in MailWizz)

/apps/console/console.php delete-moved-subscribers --list_uid='' --limit=500 --days_back=30

These new variables that were created for us make sure our autoresponders get sent out in a very timely fashion - even when doing large broadcasts. Is this still supported?

/apps/console/console.php send-campaigns --campaigns_type=autoresponder --pcntl_campaigns_parallel=5 --pcntl_subscriber_batches_parallel=2 --list_id=6,22,27,28,29,40,41,15,107,108,105,106 >/dev/null

Thank you! Back to testing... :)

Runs once per day to remove old mutexes that were taking up so many inodes we had an issue.

/apps/console/console.php delete-mutexes >/dev/null 2>&1
This is still supported.

Deleting moved subscribers (we do lots of list moving using out of the box actions in MailWizz)

/apps/console/console.php delete-moved-subscribers --list_uid='' --limit=500 --days_back=30
This as well.

These new variables that were created for us make sure our autoresponders get sent out in a very timely fashion - even when doing large broadcasts. Is this still supported?

/apps/console/console.php send-campaigns --campaigns_type=autoresponder --pcntl_campaigns_parallel=5 --pcntl_subscriber_batches_parallel=2 --list_id=6,22,27,28,29,40,41,15,107,108,105,106 >/dev/null
These were included in the app as well exactly for this reason ;)

So yeah, things should work :D

Back