License checking changes - postponed till June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted1919

Administrator
Staff member
Hello guys,

When releasing 1.5.0 i made the following statement:
In an effort to combat piracy and multiple usage of the app with a single license, starting with this release, we entered a more strict license checks which means older versions are not compatible with the checks we're doing and will fail passing the validation, this is why you should upgrade to 1.5.0, otherwise, when we will turn on the new validation checker(sometimes in January) your app will fail and will stop working properly.

Now, after some discussions with a bunch of you guys, i think we can postpone this change.
I was thinking we should give you the time till June 2018.
You should have plenty time till that date to migrate all your changes to a newer version of the app.

Thanks.

Hi, Twisted 1919,
Nice thing to avoid piracy, You should provide a provision on app licensing that License should check every day or the Time interval for Uniqueness. And if 2 IP's are detected you can block both the IP's so that no emails / Campaigns can be sent from Application. Also, there should be a Migration provision on Licensing page so that whenever any customer wants to migrate their server they should add the new IP for migration and on the 4th day it will verify Old IP and if it is active then it should block as I said earlier.

Just a suggestion you can check as per your feasibility.

I think a license check once per day is fair but anything shorter than that seems excessive. Hopefully we also get a deal right before the new licensing kicks in so we can purchase more copies of MailWizz!

Hi, Twisted 1919,
Nice thing to avoid piracy, You should provide a provision on app licensing that License should check every day or the Time interval for Uniqueness. And if 2 IP's are detected you can block both the IP's so that no emails / Campaigns can be sent from Application. Also, there should be a Migration provision on Licensing page so that whenever any customer wants to migrate their server they should add the new IP for migration and on the 4th day it will verify Old IP and if it is active then it should block as I said earlier.

Just a suggestion you can check as per your feasibility.
Sorry, it's nothing personal but while that could sound a good idea it's absolutely NOT A GOOD IDEA for the license owners, and so what you propose (not you) is total BS, and absolutely NOT acceptable for me and should not for anyone who wants to build long terms solid business assets using WZ.

Why am I saying this?

First, so you know what I'm talking about, I'm in this Internet and Marketing technology industry for 20 years. I would never base such important asset of my business, my email marketing server, under the CONTROL of a REMOTE power capacity! Think about it! This is the power that what you propose would have on you and your business. This is not to presume that @twisted1919 would or could have hostile or bad intention to control you loll it is certainly not, but his right to protect his work stops where you own rights could be violated. Rights to your business operations privacy, and, mostly because every time such check would be done on me, it would be done under the PRESUMPTION that I AM A PIRATE (presumption of a crime is what allows POLICE OFFICERS to search you) and so the SYSTEM must check on you to eventually DISCONNECT you from its usage. So, that means ANYTHING could happen to the developer and / or his LICENSE CHECKING server or app, and the day HIS SERVER does not respond to your 'daily license check' YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK AND BUSINESS!! Got it? I've seen this so many times over the years.

The only legitimate way to do this is on the DAY OF INSTALLATION only! That is at any time a new copy is INSTALLED, not everyday, or any other time count, that you use it.

Anyway, for sure if such meaning on spying on me is to be implemented in this software it MUST BE FULLY DISCLOSED before one buys the software.

My two cents. and a quarter... ;)

@Andy - thanks for your input, we took this into consideration too and we are fully aware of all implications. Honest customers will have nothing to worry about.

@twisted1919
I fully support this idea and people who are not paying and using this great product should be blocked.
my idea is: MW should check license every time it sends a campaign, this process should not take a long time also this checking code should be encrypted.

many many peoples are using MW without ant License and it should be stopped.

@AHK - I agree with you we should check people, this is why we try to make this work, but as @Andy says, there are some rules we have to follow to do this, we can't just be too evasive here. And again, as @Andy says, the honest customer should never ever ever have to suffer, in any circumstance, and this is something we actively work on.
If by June we don't have a working solution which does all the above, we will postpone it more.
It's important for people to understand that we just want to be honest with each other, nothing more, and we will do nothing at our own loss, till we are sure our actions do not harm honest customers.

MW should check license every time it sends a campaign,
LOLL sorry that's too funny...
also this checking code should be encrypted.
LOLLLLL that's even more funny, it will never come the day where I will let any ourtide source transfer ENCRYPTED data from my server LOLL where are you getting these silly suggestions? I suggest you study a bit the software industry before posting. Unless you're a joker? Good one though, I really had a good laugh....

...hmmm, above contributions only by expired license holders!
:D

How often does cPanel check the license, or Adobe, or Nuance, or Windows?

LOLL sorry that's too funny...
of course its funny for you cause you have no idea how many hours of hard work developer is actually spending on this product.
:)
see my example I write one very small code for MW to resend give-ups and share on the same forum for FREE for people to benefit from it but someone take the same code and put it for Sale.

I think @twisted1919 have an idea how many peoples are using his product without even paying for it, even I know few peoples very active on this forum they are suggesting and installing for other peoples crack version of MW, this is not funny at all :mad:

I think we can close this because we're going off-topic. i'll open it at the right time. Thank you all for the feedback.

Reactions: AHK
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back