I need help with my scenario

zontia

A year ago, I bought the app and use it only for himself and a few friends.
Now I have a request to send 1000000 emails per month, or 30k-50k / day
Need help

1. Hardware (VPS ,memory ,ram...
2. Software (my smtp or more )
3. How is the protection of the block and put on blacklist
4. How much IP address for rotation
5. How much domain names for sending
Please help from more experienced users of the application.
I know that now there are many answers, but I'd like to have this scenario in one place

Best Regards

If i were you, i would find a server with 32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores.
That in conjunction with nginx and php-fpm and mysql(mariadb) tuned with mysqltuner.
I'l also install iredmail on the server with around 5 IP addresses and rotate the outgoing traffic through iptables for port 25/465.

But that's just me :)

Thanks twisted
Have any member on forum for setup this.
I need one more scenario.
Your is the best ,but is to much costs.

He doesn't need that much iron for sending. He can do all of that with a regular cheap VPS.

He needs fast drives (SSD) for getting emails out of the queue rather than storage needed for a lot of POP/IMAP mailboxes. He's trying to pitch fast balls, not catch and hold them. Just make sure the the queues use XFS instead of EXT4, and if possible, placed on another controller. Email is more I/O bound than anything else.

iRedMail? NO. NO and NO! If I see another server with that crap installed, I'm going to hurt somebody. Virus scans on every outbound email and people are wondering why sending is slow?

Better to use Postfix's tcp tables and a perl script than iptables to rotate IPs. But, for so small an amount of email sends, he can do it all with one IP.

WARM YOU IP(s) FIRST!!! Don't expect to blast 50k emails on day one. Follow Sendgrid's IP Warmup Schedule (https://sendgrid.com/docs/API_Reference/Web_API_v3/IP_Management/ip_warmup_schedule.html)

Use custom transports for problem destinations (I'm looking at you AOL & Yahoo). Learn about the following:
  1. transport_maps
  2. transport$_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
  3. transport$_destination_concurrency_limit
  4. transport$_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
  5. transport$_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
  6. transport$_initial_destination_concurrency
  7. maximal_backoff_time
  8. minimal_backoff_time
  9. queue_run_delay
If you can't wait and build your IP reputation and must use a SMTP service (Mandrill, ElasticEmail, etc.), relay your emails through your local mail server to the SMTP service to take advantage of pipelining and multiple connections (check with the provider first to find out the max connection and max recipients per connection limit).

Do not, under any circumstances, use this machine for list hygiene. Pay someone who specializes in it and then import the cleaned list.

Stop using tuning scripts for MySQL/MariaDB. It's bad practice.

We wish even more fervently that people wouldn’t write “tuning scripts” that codify these dangerous practices and teach them to thousands of people. This leads to our second suggestion of what not to do: don’t use tuning scripts! There are several very popular ones that you can find on the Internet. It’s probably best to ignore them.

We also suggest that you avoid the word “tuning,” which we’ve used liberally in the past few paragraphs. We favor “configuration” or “optimization” instead (as long as that’s what you’re actually doing; see Chapter 3). The word “tuning” conjures up images of an undisciplined novice who tweaks the server and sees what happens. We suggested in the previous section that this practice is best left to those who are researching server internals.

“Tuning” your server can be a stunning waste of time.
Join the Postfix Users list or at least search the archives. More often than not, any problem that may arise may already have been solved.

Hi Zontia,

It is upto you how you want to go - either you want to setup all server, IP or you want to use hosted solution where you only have to do is sending emails only.

According to your budget you can purchase server and IP or you can use any ready made solution.

Let me know how you want to go ahead. My Email is : vpulshah@gmail.com

Regards,

VPul.

If i were you, i would find a server with 32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores.
That in conjunction with nginx and php-fpm and mysql(mariadb) tuned with mysqltuner.
I'l also install iredmail on the server with around 5 IP addresses and rotate the outgoing traffic through iptables for port 25/465.

But that's just me :)

@twisted1919, Please I want to ask, is this configuration you specified here in 2015 still relevant in 2021. If no, can you please specify the best fit specification that can work in 2021? I also want to ask about the following:
1. I thought nginx can be installed from iredmail.
2. What is php-fpm and how do I install it.
3. How do I install mysql(mariadb) tuned with mysqltuner?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Segun.

is this configuration you specified here in 2015 still relevant in 2021
Sure it is.

1. I thought nginx can be installed from iredmail.
You'll want to keep the SMTP server on a different server, just to make things easier to manage.
2. What is php-fpm and how do I install it.
If you follow any tutorial for installing PHP and Nginx, you'll get PHP-FPM for sure.
You can use a panel like webmin/virtualmin if unsure, it will affect performance a bit but it will make your life easier.
3. How do I install mysql(mariadb) tuned with mysqltuner?
You just install regular mysql/mariadb, but then use mysqltuner to improve it. see: https://github.com/major/MySQLTuner-perl

Sure it is.

You'll want to keep the SMTP server on a different server, just to make things easier to manage.

If you follow any tutorial for installing PHP and Nginx, you'll get PHP-FPM for sure.
You can use a panel like webmin/virtualmin if unsure, it will affect performance a bit but it will make your life easier.

You just install regular mysql/mariadb, but then use mysqltuner to improve it. see: https://github.com/major/MySQLTuner-perl

Your detailed and passionate responses are so much appreciated. I am so grateful for how you explained them in bits and pieces.

Many thanks and regards.
Up Mailwizz :D

Sure it is.

Hi @twisted1919,

Thanks for your previous responses concerning my questions here. Please, I have few questions more.
  1. I want to have separate servers for Mailwizz and SMTP server as you advised. I however want to ask which of the two servers is actually responsible for speedy email sending?
  2. Which of the two servers should have higher configuration, the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
  3. The specification you mentioned here, "If i were you, i would find a server with 32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores" is it for the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
  4. What you also suggested here, "I'l also install iredmail on the server with around 5 IP addresses and rotate the outgoing traffic through iptables for port 25/465" Please, how can Ido this? is there a tutorial I can follow to achieve this?
I will appreciate your usual detailed response.

Thank you,
Segun.

Hi @twisted1919,

Thanks for your previous responses concerning my questions here. Please, I have few questions more.
  1. I want to have separate servers for Mailwizz and SMTP server as you advised. I however want to ask which of the two servers is actually responsible for speedy email sending?
  2. Which of the two servers should have higher configuration, the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
  3. The specification you mentioned here, "If i were you, i would find a server with 32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores" is it for the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
  4. What you also suggested here, "I'l also install iredmail on the server with around 5 IP addresses and rotate the outgoing traffic through iptables for port 25/465" Please, how can Ido this? is there a tutorial I can follow to achieve this?

Thank you,
Segun.
@twisted1919 pls i'm still expecting your response

Hi @twisted1919,

Thank you,
Segun.
Hi Segun,

Actually if you want to send higher then you need both server with good configuration. Mailwizz server need higher configuration and SMTP will be little less compare to that will work.

32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores" - this is good for the Mailwizz server.

For iredmail - if you want to rotate IP, you need to go through their guide and see how you can rotate it through IP tables or with postfix.

Check this link - https://forum.iredmail.org/topic5023-iredmail-support-ip-rotation.html

Thanks.

I want to have separate servers for Mailwizz and SMTP server as you advised. I however want to ask which of the two servers is actually responsible for speedy email sending?
Both of them actually. If your MailWizz server is slow, then you're offloading the emails too slow to the smtp server. if the smtp server is slow, it doesn't accept the emails fast enough from MailWizz. So they both need to be on the same page.

Which of the two servers should have higher configuration, the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
This is difficult to answer because it depends on your sending patterns, but I'd say the server where you host MailWizz should def. be a larger server.

The specification you mentioned here, "If i were you, i would find a server with 32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores" is it for the Mailwizz server or the mail server?
I made this recommendation with the idea that you're going to use just a single server for both, MailWizz itself and your SMTP server.
  1. What you also suggested here, "I'l also install iredmail on the server with around 5 IP addresses and rotate the outgoing traffic through iptables for port 25/465" Please, how can Ido this? is there a tutorial I can follow to achieve this?
There's a way to do it via iptables as well, just google: "smtp rotate ip using iptables"

P.S: It's been a while since I answered this topic last time, so I don't remember exactly what I was thinking at that point when I made the recommendations, I hope this makes sense.

Hi Segun,

Actually if you want to send higher then you need both server with good configuration. Mailwizz server need higher configuration and SMTP will be little less compare to that will work.

32GB RAM / SSD drives, say >= 512GB, and xeon CPU, say >= 16 cores" - this is good for the Mailwizz server.

For iredmail - if you want to rotate IP, you need to go through their guide and see how you can rotate it through IP tables or with postfix.

Check this link - https://forum.iredmail.org/topic5023-iredmail-support-ip-rotation.html

Thanks.

Many thanks Vpul for your kind response. It's very helpful. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Segun.

Both of them actually. If your MailWizz server is slow, then you're offloading the emails too slow to the smtp server. if the smtp server is slow, it doesn't accept the emails fast enough from MailWizz. So they both need to be on the same page.

This is difficult to answer because it depends on your sending patterns, but I'd say the server where you host MailWizz should def. be a larger server.

I made this recommendation with the idea that you're going to use just a single server for both, MailWizz itself and your SMTP server.

There's a way to do it via iptables as well, just google: "smtp rotate ip using iptables"

P.S: It's been a while since I answered this topic last time, so I don't remember exactly what I was thinking at that point when I made the recommendations, I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks @twisted1919 for your usual detailed response. It's very helpful. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Segun.

Back