How to set up a bounce server?

Pat Friedl

Hey all, I'm moving from Amazon SES to SparkPost and SendGrid. Will I need to set up a bounce server, and if so, is there some documentation on that?

Hey all, I'm moving from Amazon SES to SparkPost and SendGrid. Will I need to set up a bounce server, and if so, is there some documentation on that?
If you use smtp (not web api) then you need to set up your own bounce server.
Under 'guides to mailwizz' there should be some info on 'how to...'
Either use the mailbox / email address you are sending FROM and use that as the bounce server and set 'delete all' to NO.
Or use/generate one per domain/customer or the whole ESP, as your mailing strategy defined, e.g.
bounces@mySendingDomain.com
bounces@myCustomerSendingDomain.com
bounces@myESPdomain.com
and then associate this/these bounce server(s) with the delivery servers (this makes it easier to not forget to deal with bounces).
The advantage of having the FROM as the bounce is that the receiving servers 'see' that consistency and have 'no doubts' (since spammers more oft than not use several email addresses in the header) and may filter into lesser than inbox categories.

Last edited:
Why use smtp when you can use web api which is faster and the processing of bounces/complains is done automatically ?:D
I see no reason...

Why use smtp when you can use web api which is faster

web api is fast at some providers, and slower than smtp at others.

smtp with own bounce server allows for own control of bounce handling, while with web api you have a silent business partner who changes the rules as they see fit (although most bounce rules are set well most of the time).

have not found any web api which can do over 30k/min, but smtp can do over 75k/m.
(would be happy to learn better max values/speed)

;)

Nope, I'm using web API all the way - just didn't know if i needed to set up a bounce server if I was using API.

@twisted1919 I am using SendGrid Web API and bounces are not being reported in MailWizz. I have read I don't need a bounce server using SendGrid. How do I get the bounces reported back to my campaign?

@Dan Tamkin - Try to edit your delivery server, then from the edit screen, click on the Info icon from the right side which will tell you what the webhooks url is. Finally, check at SendGrid and make sure the webhook has been created and if it hasn't, add it manually.

hello @twisted1919
i did a setup like 1 ip bounce server > 1 ip delivery server (both are the same server)... but i sometimes i get a 60% bounce rate on a campaign - with 40% of that been internal bounces.
I need to change some other parameter? this looks normal?
I worked before with interspire and usual not having more than 10% bounce with my lists
tks

Last edited:
i do list-hygiene - and these are openers only lists... and via interspire we never had +10% bounce (with 16 ips vps).
thats why i was wondering if everything ok via mailwizz.

1 ip bounce server > 1 ip delivery server
this could be a problem? just 1 ip and the same for delivery/bounce ? - can cause some 'false bounce' ?

some internal are about our delivery/ip blocked somewhere... thats ok.
"smtp; 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [185.147.34.182] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (AS3150). You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [DB5EUR01FT009.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]"

yep, @frm.mwz in that case is a blocklist problem

but do you think this is not a problem/limitation?
1 ip (and the same) for delivery/bounce ? - can cause some 'false bounce' ?

many thanks

yep, @frm.mwz in that case is a blocklist problem

but do you think this is not a problem/limitation?
1 ip (and the same) for delivery/bounce ? - can cause some 'false bounce' ?

many thanks
correct, the above should not be a bounce against a subscriber, but against the IP/block, ie classified as internal bounce and the DS using that IP deactivated with hint 'ip block detected'

sorry but i mean in general, not in this particular case.
if this might be a problem-1 ip (and the same) for delivery/bounce

sorry but i mean in general, not in this particular case.
if this might be a problem-1 ip (and the same) for delivery/bounce
Not sure if I understand correctly, but if you mean one and the same IP for mwz hosting, delivery server and bounce server, then yes, having mwz and the DS on the same is more risky, since the sending IP can get blacklisted even for minor reasons or by mistake and then you need an alternative. Which fortunately is not far/difficult to obtain (a third party delivery server).
Let me know if I misunderstood your question :)

just delivery server and bounce server are the same/ 1 ip, thats why i was wondering if this setup can cause some "false bounce".
mailwizz is hosted in a different ip
tks

Back