How to set DNS records for VPS without cPanel or similar

rritz

Hi all,
this is not really a mw thing but I couldn't find anything anywhere about this on google so I hoped you guys here will have the answer

I have a Linux VPS Unmanaged CentOS 6.0 64 Bits
no cPanel or anything

Mailwizz install was done from a custom script via SSH / putty - I bought this script. I don't know anything about SSH or coding this or anything

I was looking for a way to add more DNS records
For mailgun API for instance you have to add TXT and CNAME records

How would I do this?
As I said, I did search in google, but did not find anything I could use. Maybe I did not look for the right keywords. If you can even drop me a link to a google search result I will be happy to go on from there. Or give me some lines of code

Thxs a lot!!!

@rritz - You add the DNS records from the place where you have bought your domain name from. It has to have an area for DNS records and you can find more info in their KB on how to actually add the records.
Who's your registrar?

@rritz : Go to your Domain Control Panel > Select your Domain > Go to Manage DNS > Add record as per your need in that.

Or you can use 3rd party DNS service provider like cloudflare.com and manage from there easily.

Thank you @twisted1919 and @Vpul Shah for your answers!

My domain is registered with Namecheap and I can add DNS records there I know how. But to do this I would have to use Namecheap Default DNS settings and this will erase the DNS settings I already have on my server if I understand it right.

The script that installed mailwizz on my VPS also set up the DNS records: custom nameservers, A records, CNAME records, rDNS settings etc.
so I am using Custom DNS settings in namecheap.
That's why I am asking if there is a way to add additional DNS records via SSH / putty

Don't fear to loose any default DNS settings in NameCheap, those can easily be set back if you ever want that.

Anyway:
It's what been said before. DNS settings themselves has nothing to do with Mailwizz, other than that Mailwizz needs these records to be set to work. You set it either where you bought the domain or if you control your DNS settings elsewhere in an external DNS provider. I for one use ClouDNS.net and have done so for years. (and usually I buy my domains from NameCheap too by the way).

I am not a DNS geek, but these are the ones that I usually set:

A record - this points out the IP address of your server
MX record - this points out the mail exchanger of your server
CNAME - if any (canonical name, a kind of alias for another domain. At some point there must be an A record)
NS - this points out the domains of your DNS servers
SPF - the SPF record (Sender Policy Framework) is a way to prevent emails being
sent with fake domain names as the sender. ISPs usually require it. This can be stored as a TXT record too.
TXT - sometimes extra TXT records are needed

By the way: ClouDNS currently has an offer with 50% discount on their plans (it's due in 25 hours from now) in case you want to
use them to host your DNS records. (if you do want to use their DNSs, you need to update your DNSs in Namecheap (it's under Dashboard > Manage > Nameserver then choose Custom DNS and the DNSs you use.

https://www.cloudns.net/geodns/

Back