How do others sign up users to many lists?

Dilbert

I have a forum with several sections that people can sign up for. Then, they can choose which day(s) they want to sign up for, so in total, there are 26 lists.

This was custom code provided by Mailwizz.

How do others sign up users to more than one list? I feel like I am doing something wrong. I don't want the user to have to sign up 5 or 10 different times.

Thanks!

One list, multiple tags/custom fields. Then create segments for the different types of broadcast rules.

One list, multiple tags/custom fields. Then create segments for the different types of broadcast rules.
Thanks, I don't think I understand.
I have list A, you can sign up to receive it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...
How do I do that with one list?
Also, I have about 10k users signed up already. How would I move them?

You create a custom field (options field / multi-select - whatever you need) with Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc. Make that field visible and include it in the preference centre / signup form and let people pick their option.
You then create a segment for each weekday and only send to the relevant segments on the given day while all subscribers are in a single list. They can change their weekday preference any time via the same form.

Hmm, I can see how that would work for one newsletter.
I have 5 different sections that are unique information, though.
So with this approach, do I still need 5 different lists?

Hmm, I can see how that would work for one newsletter.
Not sure why you would think that. I run a complete portfolio of different email types through a single list, just using segmentations. My focus is on letting the subscriber decide via the preferences what they want to receive and when.

Not sure why you would think that. I run a complete portfolio of different email types through a single list, just using segmentations. My focus is on letting the subscriber decide via the preferences what they want to receive and when.
I'm still trying to understand.
So I just created a list called test.
How do I create a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... segment so users can subscribe just to that segment?
Sorry for being so naive about this tool.

Under custom fields, add a radio list field and add options to the weekdays in that field. Make sure the field is set to visible and make it mandatory to force an entry (or not if you want to have a default/control day and invite subscriber to make their selection via the preferences link.
Then create seven segments and make each be the selection of the relevant weekday from that radio list field. You can create an additional segment rule for the instance where no weekday was selected.
Finally send campaigns to the individual segments according to the day of the week.

This is great, it's getting a lot closer.

I started a test list and I subscribed to a few of them.

When I create a new campaign, I selected the test list, but under segments, there are no values listed.

You suggested I use radio buttons, is that required? I want users to be able to select anywhere between 1 and 26 of the newsletters we offer.

1699214415787.png

Why don't you let them select the newsletter type and - in a separate radio button list - the day of week. Then create combinations in the segments. That's much less clunky than a full weekday list for each newsletter.
Also, if you want to see the segmented records, you have to click "matching subscribers" after creating a segment.

Why don't you let them select the newsletter type and - in a separate radio button list - the day of week. Then create combinations in the segments. That's much less clunky than a full weekday list for each newsletter.
Also, if you want to see the segmented records, you have to click "matching subscribers" after creating a segment.
I could do that, but what if I want BloodBankTalk Mon, and ChemlabTalk Tue?

OK, so now I think I have this all set. I can subscribe and update my settings. The issue I have is I need to "merge" thousands of records into this new single list. I created a spreadsheet, but when I upload it, it does not fill in the records.

I even tried clearing all subscribers, creating one new one using the web form, and exporting that record. Deleting it from the list and then importing that same file, but it doesn't seem to work.

I made this video if you'd be so kind as to review it and let me know if you can figure out what is happening.

Last edited:
What I would do in that case is subscribe a few test records and check how they display the check box column upon CSV output. That then gives you a view of how to construct your import to accommodate those custom fields.

If there's a wider issue with forcing checkbox fields via import (I've never tried this retrospectively), I'd suggest to open the question of to the MW dev team here. They'll know.

This seems to be getting messier the more I try to fix it.

I deleted all users and am now entering them manually, but that's not working either.
Here are my custom fields.
View attachment 1699284231036.png

Here is what the list looks like. Some are from users signing up on the web this warning, the top rows are manually entered.
1699284203256.png

Back