Hash Busting / Random Text Add-In

Tim Ventura

Some email spam-scanners analyze the text in emails to create a HASH value that they assign to the message. Send to many of that particular message in a certain period of time, and they go straight to the spam folder because of the hash value (so I've heard...)

This probably explains why our daily email newsletter to 180,000 users has almost EXACTLY the same open-rate from one day to the next, but never the SAME users (usually 50% to 75% the same). It probably also explains why newsletters from some of our partners (fully opt-in, not spammy) are going into spam folders when they increase their volume - even though they have a unique message every day.

I've read that Google will allow only 6,000 messages per sender, others have said 6,000 of the same message to arrive in their network at once. It would be worth trying to use a hash-buster to see if that helps?

Can MailWizz add the output of a PHP script into the message? Say perhaps a "random text" generator in a display: none div in our HTML messages?

Honestly I'm not positive if hash-busting even works anymore these days. I get lots of shady spam messages in my spam-folder that contain hash-busting blocks at the bottom. It'd be a neat experiment to try, though, to see if it might improve deliverability? If it was in a display:none block in our HTML message, our readers wouldn't even notice it, but hopefully more of them would get the email...

(Our daily newsletter has a very firm 20% open-rate. That's solid, but obviously I'd love it to be higher).

I've read that Google will allow only 6,000 messages per sender, others have said 6,000 of the same message to arrive in their network at once.
This https://support.google.com/a/answer/1366776 seems to apply also to Gmail.
And I can confirm that this works from own tests with large enough test lists covering triple the hourly limit.

perhaps a "random text" generator
The [RANDOM_CONTENT:a|b|c] tag is probably not enough or what is your experience with that?

Random content tag? Had no idea! I'll take it for a test drive.

Google limits: the reference above is inbound per recipient, but what about inbound to the network per message?

Random content tag works great! Works in title, pre-header, and body perfectly! WOW! Built in email spinner! Amazing!

Back