Hard bounces going through the roof

Pat Friedl

Ok, so I'm doing some cold outreach emails with a 4 day series. If the contact clicks on links in some of our emails, we move them to a "warm" list and email them with additional outreach.

However, wer'e starting to see massive numbers of bounces on the emails, even after the 4th day of outreach or if they clicked a link and got moved to the warm list.

It looks like the majority of these bounces are happening off one domain - reecenichols.com. So is it that they're blocking us for some reason, and is there any way around that?

Ok, so I'm doing some cold outreach emails with a 4 day series. If the contact clicks on links in some of our emails, we move them to a "warm" list and email them with additional outreach.

However, wer'e starting to see massive numbers of bounces on the emails, even after the 4th day of outreach or if they clicked a link and got moved to the warm list.

It looks like the majority of these bounces are happening off one domain - reecenichols.com. So is it that they're blocking us for some reason, and is there any way around that?
What does it say in the bounce emails?
deferred, user complaints, etc...

They're showing "hard bounce". A lot of these emails passed right on through on the first mailing, and subsequent mailings are showing them as a bounce. And they're all on the same domain. This is what makes me think they're blocking us. Any way around this?

looks like the majority of these bounces are happening off one domain - reecenichols.com
There might be multiple wrong configs on that domain, and coupled with a (also wrongly configured) corp filter, it might just take all out. One of the options could be to email them and say that even those that reacted to your emails cannot get them anymore, and they should adjust their server (as even a simple test shows there is something wrong).

They're showing "hard bounce". A lot of these emails passed right on through on the first mailing, and subsequent mailings are showing them as a bounce. And they're all on the same domain. This is what makes me think they're blocking us. Any way around this?
Is is quite oft that (mail) servers are wrongly configured (sometimes by accident, sometimes to mislead anyone who is not adhering to what the admin thinks is best) and send out the wrong error message, which in consequence makes the life of those sending to them quite hard. An indirect hint to standards sometime helps, but it costs time, so it is worth to do only sometimes, most oft senders move on.

If you change IP(s), keep in mind that more and more domain rep is used, so the domain might need changing too.
Easiest might be to take all those 'warm bounces' and send to them from another service (e.g. one of the DS with free monthly volume).

Back