Google Bots Opening Emails

Joseph

I realized that recently, I have a burst of open rates and upon investigation, I realized Google Bots are openings my emails. I guess they are just checking or taking a snapshots of the emails sent to their servers.

Here's one of them:
NetRange: 66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255
CIDR: 66.249.64.0/19
NetName: GOOGLE
NetHandle: NET-66-249-64-0-1
Parent: NET66 (NET-66-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS:
Organization: Google LLC (GOGL)
RegDate: 2004-03-05
Updated: 2012-02-24
Ref: https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-66-249-64-0-1

Is there anyway to prevent them from opening? Or just make sure that Mailwizz don't record them as opens?

OK I think I found the solution. Backend->Campaigns->Exclude IPs from tracking.
Is it possible to put a range instead of list each IP address?

So I just enter: 66.249.64.0/19
to block 66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255 range?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this type of IP ranging.

I am having this same problem just in the past day or two, an insane amount of opens from Google bots. Wouldn't blocking these IP's also block many legitimate opens because most of our Gmail opens are using google image proxy anyway?

I am having this same problem just in the past day or two, an insane amount of opens from Google bots. Wouldn't blocking these IP's also block many legitimate opens because most of our Gmail opens are using google image proxy anyway?
If you test it, Gmail may test the link first (so that may be a click from their IP address), but then you should see your own IP, just as you see the Google encrypted link first (their click), which then resolves into your tracker (your click).

Wouldn't blocking these IP's also block many legitimate opens because most of our Gmail opens are using google image proxy anyway?
Good question, but i don't think so, the client requests the image from your own server, which will trigger the opening.

If you test it, Gmail may test the link first (so that may be a click from their IP address), but then you should see your own IP, just as you see the Google encrypted link first (their click), which then resolves into your tracker (your click).
Blocking the IP range will mean that if Google bots opens the emails, Mailwizz will not keep a record of those opens. But when the user opens the same email, it will be recorded as open.

yup, you'd to smth like 123.123.123.0/24 or whatever range you want to block.
Will this also prevent subscriber actions from happening?

For example, if I have an action set up to copy campaign openers to the list "Openers" or clickers to a list named "Clickers", will opens and clicks originating from blocked IP ranges still be copied per those actions?

Back