Feedback Loop Processing Not Working 100%

eggerda

Hello, I've been having some deliverability issues, and I've been digging into things.

I forward all FBL emails received to another inbox for storage...I've been going through these, and searching for the email address in the FBL report in MailWizz, and about half the time, they are still confirmed in MailWizz.

@twisted1919 has anything changed with bounce processing in recent updates? I use a combination of SES and SMTP connections... the FBL emails are being received just fine...and mailwizz is checking this FBL server and clearing out the inbox when it's done.

It's just not processing all of the FBL's properly - it's not unsubscribing people (I am now blacklisting them).

I have always just "assumed" it's working... it seems it's not, but I don't want to jump to conclusions here.

Let me know if anything has changed... it is processing SOME of them, but not even close to all of them, and I'm concerned...

Thanks!

Dan

@eggerda - The email message should contain all the info so that MailWizz can identify the message.
Please note that now MailWizz checks the campaign delivery log table in order to identify the right message based on its message id property, so check and see if any of those FBL requests you receive are still to be found in the campaign_delivery_log table, search for the email_message_id column to match your email message id (Message-ID header) from the original message that triggered the complaint.

@twisted1919 the problem is, for sending speed purposes the delivery log is being cleared. It only holds the last 2 days of logs. Questions:

1. Give the above, if someone clicks "spam" on an email that was sent 3 or more days ago, does this mean they will not be blacklisted?

2. I have forwarded/stored all historic FBL emails in an inbox that MW can check... if I want to blacklist all of these email addresses from all the FBL's I've received, how can I do this?

3. I'm concerned my SES delivery servers are not having FBL's processed. I see the SNS things setup ok, but I don't see any of these complaint logs in mailwizz witih this string: "Abuse complaint via Amazon SES!" It used to be there... now it never is. I just see "Abuse complaint!" which I believe is generated by my SMTP delivery sever FBL's. How do I test the SES complaints to see if they are working?

I just want mailwizz to blacklist any email address that sends an FBL - globally. Mailwizz has been continuing to send out emails to people that have complained ,and it's hurting reputation... let me know asap. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
@twisted1919 the problem is, for sending speed purposes the delivery log is being cleared. It only holds the last 2 days of logs. Questions:

1. Give the above, if someone clicks "spam" on an email that was sent 3 or more days ago, does this mean they will not be blacklisted?

2. I have forwarded/stored all historic FBL emails in an inbox that MW can check... if I want to blacklist all of these email addresses from all the FBL's I've received, how can I do this?

3. 3. I'm concerned my SES delivery servers are not having FBL's processed. I see the SNS things setup ok, but I don't see any of these complaint logs in mailwizz witih this string: "Abuse complaint via Amazon SES!" It used to be there... now it never is. I just see "Abuse complaint!" which I believe is generated by my SMTP delivery sever FBL's. How do I test the SES complaints to see if they are working?

I just want mailwizz to blacklist any email address that sends an FBL - globally. Mailwizz has been continuing to send out emails to people that have complained ,and it's hurting reputation... let me know asap. Thank you so much!
@twisted1919 do you think I could accomplish #2 (to blacklist historic FBL's) with a MW inbox monitor?

1686762295348.png

Last edited:
Give the above, if someone clicks "spam" on an email that was sent 3 or more days ago, does this mean they will not be blacklisted?
This is correct, you will need to keep them for a bit longer, up to you, whatever makes more sense. Maybe a week.

You'll have to write your own custom code to pull them, go through them, one by one, and blacklist them in MailWizz.

3. I'm concerned my SES delivery servers are not having FBL's processed. I see the SNS things setup ok, but I don't see any of these complaint logs in mailwizz witih this string: "Abuse complaint via Amazon SES!" It used to be there... now it never is. I just see "Abuse complaint!" which I believe is generated by my SMTP delivery sever FBL's. How do I test the SES complaints to see if they are working?
You need those delivery logs for MailWizz to be able to identify your emails.
Also, while I am not 100% sure, please keep in mind that if an email was processed by ses, chances are they won't forward it to you a second time.

So I think keeping the delivery logs for longer will fix your problems.

Back