False Return-Path in Mails

Mailinghoster

Hi, I normaly thought that when I set an bounce server fixed to delivery server the return-path will automatically be the bounce email address. But it don't looks like this. It happen when I add an From email & Reply to in campaign. If I set "Force FROM" in delivery server Return-Path is right, but then I can't use the sending domain I want to have.

Is that right that it works like I have described it?
How then bounce processing should work?

Code:
To: "test@mytestmail.co.uk" <test@mytestmail.co.uk>
Reply-To: The Tester <info@senddomainl.co.uk>
Subject: My Test Subject
Message-ID: <5ebcee73d508ffa82413b8ca44f74390@myserver.co.uk>
X-Dkjl-Campaign-Uid: xs221eenjd618
X-Dkjl-Subscriber-Uid: fn0996j3vlb6a
X-Dkjl-Customer-Uid: dy291qdjz7849
X-Dkjl-Customer-Gid: 0
X-Dkjl-Delivery-Sid: 258
X-Dkjl-Tracking-Did: 1
List-Id: cw168rweek91f <Testlist>
X-Report-Abuse: Please report an abuse case here: http://trackingdomain.co.uk/campaigns/xs221eenjd618/report-abuse/cw168rweek91f/fn0996j3vlb6a
Feedback-ID: fn0996j3vlb6a:cw168rweek91f:dy291qdjz7849:xs221eenjd618
X-Dkjl-EBS: http://trackingdomain.co.uk/lists/block-address
X-Sender: info@myserver.co.uk
X-Receiver: test@mytestmail.co.uk
Return-Path: <info@senddomainl.co.uk>

Hi, I normaly thought that when I set an bounce server fixed to delivery server the return-path will automatically be the bounce email address. But it don't looks like this. It happen when I add an From email & Reply to in campaign. If I set "Force FROM" in delivery server Return-Path is right, but then I can't use the sending domain I want to have.

Is that right that it works like I have described it?
How then bounce processing should work?

Code:
To: "test@mytestmail.co.uk" <test@mytestmail.co.uk>
Reply-To: The Tester <info@senddomainl.co.uk>
Subject: My Test Subject
Message-ID: <5ebcee73d508ffa82413b8ca44f74390@myserver.co.uk>
X-Dkjl-Campaign-Uid: xs221eenjd618
X-Dkjl-Subscriber-Uid: fn0996j3vlb6a
X-Dkjl-Customer-Uid: dy291qdjz7849
X-Dkjl-Customer-Gid: 0
X-Dkjl-Delivery-Sid: 258
X-Dkjl-Tracking-Did: 1
List-Id: cw168rweek91f <Testlist>
X-Report-Abuse: Please report an abuse case here: http://trackingdomain.co.uk/campaigns/xs221eenjd618/report-abuse/cw168rweek91f/fn0996j3vlb6a
Feedback-ID: fn0996j3vlb6a:cw168rweek91f:dy291qdjz7849:xs221eenjd618
X-Dkjl-EBS: http://trackingdomain.co.uk/lists/block-address
X-Sender: info@myserver.co.uk
X-Receiver: test@mytestmail.co.uk
Return-Path: <info@senddomainl.co.uk>

As at least some receiving servers these days do return as they wish, the easiest to control this is to set FROM = BOUNCE = ReturnPath = ReplyTo.

Sorry but this is not a possible solution. Because our customer want to send as From: with his domain. Have something to do with branding and customer recognition. But he want to use our sending servers for this task. What you write -> FROM = BOUNCE = ReturnPath = ReplyTo would be best solution but don't work in every case.

but don't work in every case
Yes, true. If you cannot use it as such, then try having a different domain for sending and bounce (info@send.CUSTdomain.com and bounce@bounce.ESPdomain.com), as this is a strong indication for handling bounces well, and many receiving servers will respect it more than the simple email settings (F/B/RT/RP). If that is not an option, you can try SwiftMailer, which sets it correctly, but is slower, and you have some emails coming back to the wrong addresses anyway, either you or the client have to send each other those misses and take care of them manually or live with this imperfection of the email world as such (similarly to not all bounces having full info in them).

Yes but I have different sending & bounce...

From & Reply Address: info@CUSTdomain.com
Tracking: track.CUSTdomain.com
Bounce Server: info@mta1.ESPdomain.com
Sending Server: info@mta1.ESPdomain.com

Bounce Server is choosed in Sending Server

But System is taking info@CUSTdomain.com as Return Pah not info@mta1.ESPdomain.com

Or do I understand you false ;-)

Track: track.send.CUSTdomain.com (should mask bounce.ESPdomain.com)
Bounce: bounce@bounce.ESPdomain.com (will work if true sender)
Reply-To: info@send.CUSTdomain.com (force if different than From)

Back