Expected response code 220 but got code "", with message "" Log data: ++ Starting Swift_SmtpTranspor

I get ththe below error when sending a test email. It was working a few nights ago however suddenly stopped.

Error:
  • Expected response code 220 but got code "", with message ""
    Log data:
    ++ Starting Swift_SmtpTransport
    <<
    !! Expected response code 220 but got code "", with message "" (code: 0)
How can I fix this?

Hello

Suddenly from 15 days I am also getting same error. I tried changing many vps but give same error on each vps

Log data:
    <<
Can you explain me in details whats the smtp server is playing tricks ?

Hello

Suddenly from 15 days I am also getting same error. I tried changing many vps but give same error on each vps

Log data:
    <<
Can you explain me in details whats the smtp server is playing tricks ?
If anything like this happens, you can always switch to phpMailer, test manually with smtp commands, or with another smtp DS. This will usually tell you on which side the error is.

Solution

You can have saslauthd installed but not have any mechanisms installed. It's quite frustrating and poor error-proofing, IMO.

"no applicable SASL mechanisms" literally means it can't find any of its mechanisms. On a Fedora-based system you'd need to install the cyrus-sasl-plain package if you want to use the 'PLAIN' auth mechanisms (i.e. SMTP/STARTTLS).

yum install cyrus-sasl-plain

Expected response code 220 but got code "", with message ""
Log data:
<<

make sure that you are not using any protocol on the server i.e. SSL or TLS. Make it to none and see how it goes. If you want to use any of these, you need to buy a wildcard SSL to enable SSL/TLS.

Back