Error on Sending

Dan O'Shea

I just installed a new application at www.i-bdc.com/mailer/backend.

I was approved on Amazon SES to send to email address of 50,000 emails per day and to any address. (Out of Sandbox.) Before the approval, I was able to send to the one verified email.

Now, using Port 25, 465 or 587, I get the following error:
  • Cannot send the confirmation email using the data you provided.
  • Here is a transcript of the error message:
  • Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]
    Log data:
    ++ Starting Swift_SmtpTransport
    !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]

I've just moved the shared host to a VPS and going to try again. I think Bluehost now blocks ports on shared hosts for applications like this.

@Dan O'Shea - That error actually says your DNS resolver on your server does not know who email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com actually is, it can't translate it into an ip address, so more than likely, the issue is the DNS on your server. Bluehost support should assist you with this.

I moved my server to VPS. I have a verified email on Amazon SES (out of Sandbox and allowed to send to email address lists) and set the settings in Server on the Mailwizz backed. I am still getting the following error using either port 587 or 465
  • Cannot send the confirmation email using the data you provided.
  • Here is a transcript of the error message:
  • Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]
    Log data:
    !! Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]

@Dan O'Shea
Just give them the transcript message:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Here is a transcript of the error message:
[*]Connection could not be established with host email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]
Log data:
[/LIST]
And have them google it. If they don't know what that error is, it's entirely their lack of knowledge, but the error itself is the answer to the problem.

Ok, Bluehost tells me they ping the amazon server and it doesnt exist. Are they just lying to me then? I was on with them for 90 minutes and they will not help me on a third party app and they told me they don't alter a customer's etc/resolv.conf file.
I'm not familiar with VPS or that file so googling doesn't help me. Is the a knowledge area on this error or will this application no longer work for me on Bluehost?

@Dan O'Shea - That's because the real hostname is email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com not
email-smtp.us.east-1.amazonaws.com notice the dot in the wrong format versus the dash in the correct one.
Try with that and let's see.

Back