ElasticEmail Bounce Processing Crushed Server

eggerda

Hello, I did a big broadcast, and one of the shared ElasticEmail IP addresses was generating lots of bounces because it was blocked. Like 14,000 bounces. This means 14,000 calls to the MW ElasticEmail listener. And it bogged down the MW server so much that it was unresponsive.

Does anyone have an idea for a solution to this? To either slow down the calls... or some other solution?

@twisted1919

@eggerda - All you can do is get a better server which would work with the load. Otherwise, you can try to send a bit slower, this mans that also the bounces will return in same fashion, slower.

@twisted1919 thank you for the response! The problem is, ElasticEmail sends all the "throttled" bounces, and other large volume soft bounces. On a big email send - this presents problems. When 18,000 bounces try to hit a server within an hour or 2 - which invokes server resources re: MailWizz bounce processing - it seems like getting a bigger server just to handle this might be overkill. I think what I will do instead is try to BLOCK throttled inbound bounce messages at the CDN level. These are not necessary and I wouldn't want these email accounts blocked anyway. This should fix the issue. Now to figure out how to do this in cloudflare. :) Thanks!

@eggerda - no idea how that'd work but good luck ;) If you need us, we're here. if you ahve ideas related to what we can do on our side to alleviate this, let me know.

@twisted1919 it's working and here's the solution for the benefit of all mailwizz owners. I'm using cloudflare - but you could do this in any CDN as long as they are your DNS server. Basically set a page rule or firewall rule that BLOCKS traffic that goes to your mailwizz bounce API URL AND has "throttled" in the query string. So that only legitimate bounce requests get through. I'll probably block a couple other ones as well like "ConnectionProblem" etc.

I dont' think lots of people use ElasticEmail, but anyone that does could potentionally run into this issue if lots of emails get sent - and especially if they have lots of clients sending lots of email from MailWizz.

Back