Does Mailwizz need to call home to exist? Long term status?

I'm very excited about MW. Bought it a few months ago and finally evaluating this as a long term
solution for our business and it is very exciting.

My question is this: does Mailwizz need to 'call home' to another server to exist?
My concern is long-time, if for some reason Mailwizz goes out of business, will my software
still work?
I'm worried because the licensing is done at the IP address level (rather than domain name) on their site, so it seems that there is some call-home that expects a specific IP.
Just trying to cover all the bases before I make a long term commitment.

Not a bad question.

Long time ago i've purchased a Backup system (called Website2Backup).

Here's the url (gone):

Website currently under maintenance

I've used this tool to make automatic backups of my non-wordpress sites to dropbox etc.

Now, as the site has gone away my app stopped working (seems that the app tried to connect with
their site to validate the login info and as the site it's dead, it crashed).

Results: Dead software.

In that case, what made things worse was that the app was Ioncubed.

Back to the topic, i'm not saying that this will be the same case but i think that it's not a bad question as things happen.

Last edited:
It does call home, for simple purposes, like making sure the right license is used and so on.
If i ever ever plan to discontinue mailwizz, which i don't though, i can make an effort and release an update that doesn't call home, so no one business will be ruined.

Sounds good. Let me share an idea (just in case an unwantend event happens - i'm thinking of implementing something similar with the tools that i develop):

Ping a secret domain that you own (of course this code should not be visible).

If the domain is dead (sign that the product is down for any reason), then let the software run.

Simple as that.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
It does call home, for simple purposes, like making sure the right license is used and so on.
If i ever ever plan to discontinue mailwizz, which i don't though, i can make an effort and release an update that doesn't call home, so no one business will be ruined.

That's good to know :)
Are there any backdoors? Is any data being transferred/accessed?

Why not simply do some encrypted ioncube file + domain tied license that does not require calling home at all, only when the license is generated? This is pretty common. With the current model I simply cannot commit to this software long term as much as I like it.
I trust your intentions that you do not intend to ruin anyone's business or discontinue the product; what I worry about are the unintended circumstances that you cannot control.

Would you consider developing this as add-on paid/enterprise option? Basically, a self-contained encrypted/license?

Why not simply do some encrypted ioncube file + domain tied license that does not require calling home at all, only when the license is generated? This is pretty common.
Well yeah, except i can't do it without breaking Envato's terms/conditions, which would be the last thing i want to get into.
So i am afraid that for now things have to stay like so...

Ok, thank you for considering it. Would you consider putting the code or relevant piece of code in a third party escrow with a clause to release if the business or entity dissipates? Our company has done this a couple of times in the past with other small vendors (thankfully we've never needed the release since the businesses are still around!) I will continue to evaluate your software and if we want to commit long term I would let you know. Thank you for your time.

Back