Delivery error - no retries and are not showing up on overview

VVT

I just noticed that there are some delivery errors for a campaign that were not retried but went to "giveup" status. In the campaign overview, "Delivery Error" count is being correctly shown, but once I click on the "view details" button, no email is being listed for any type of "errors". I checked the db and below (image attached) is what I found. There were a couple of such errors in the past. May be the error was due to some network glitch, but I wonder why it wasn't retried.

thanks.

Attachments

• delivery_error.png
    delivery_error.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 14
It says 'no address associated with hostname'.
What is the domain of subscriber 1421747?

@VVT / @frm.mwz - Because mailwizz would keep retrying failures like the one you shown, it could cause some serious slowdown in some cases since it would try 3 times to send an email.
Now i decided that it simply does not worth retrying. If the email can't be sent to the mta, it's marked as giveup and that's it, carry on. This way there's no backlog of emails to be processed. I am not sure this was one of my wisest decisions but i am sure it made the sending process faster and put less strain on the database server.
This change is somehow in a testing phase, but i don't think we will ever come back to the old 3 times retry thing.

Reactions: VVT
@VVT / @frm.mwz - Because mailwizz would keep retrying failures like the one you shown, it could cause some serious slowdown in some cases since it would try 3 times to send an email.
Now i decided that it simply does not worth retrying. If the email can't be sent to the mta, it's marked as giveup and that's it, carry on. This way there's no backlog of emails to be processed. I am not sure this was one of my wisest decisions but i am sure it made the sending process faster and put less strain on the database server.
This change is somehow in a testing phase, but i don't think we will ever come back to the old 3 times retry thing.

Perhaps allow manual retry of such failed ones, or at the end of the mailing (when load is lower)?

Reactions: VVT
@frm.mwz that's the delivery server's domain. Once in a while the hostname lookup may fail cuz it may be doing a large no.of lookups based on the present load and some may fail.

@twisted1919 I understand your point. But as @frm.mwz suggested, is it possible to revisit the 'giveup' ones at the end of a campaign and retry a few times (3) ? Or an option for the customers to perform manual retry at the end of campaign ? Also, think we need to add "giveup" status to the error list with reason to the delivery statistics, now the giveup messages are not being listed. Another thing I noted is, there missing an option to unblock all blocked campaigns at once by selecting all.

@VVT / @frm.mwz - thanks guys for the constructive discussion, as always i am open to this :)
I understand your point. But as @frm.mwz suggested, is it possible to revisit the 'giveup' ones at the end of a campaign and retry a few times (3) ?
I guess we can have a counter for this and right before marking the campaign as sent, if there are failures (GIVE UP) to simply remove those logs from the database. Once the logs are removed from the campaign_delivery_log table, mailwizz will think it never sent those emails, so it will try sending again (ya' dummy app). So we can increment that counter 3 times and once it reaches 3, simply don't delete giveups' anymore and mark the campaign as sent, that's it, we tried.
Makes sense? Other options?

@VVT / @frm.mwz - thanks guys for the constructive discussion, as always i am open to this :)

I guess we can have a counter for this and right before marking the campaign as sent, if there are failures (GIVE UP) to simply remove those logs from the database. Once the logs are removed from the campaign_delivery_log table, mailwizz will think it never sent those emails, so it will try sending again (ya' dummy app). So we can increment that counter 3 times and once it reaches 3, simply don't delete giveups' anymore and mark the campaign as sent, that's it, we tried.

If it will never interfere with any delivery errors (especially hard and soft bounces), then this sounds good. Some level of manual control seems oft suitable. Thanks for going this direction, great development work!!
:)

This sounds good. Thank you very much for considering this :).

Back