correct reference to pickup folder, for a pickup server

Jason

hey,

i have installed mdp - go, in the json config file, the var/pickup folder i am referencing.

Should this be a folder of my mailwizz server or the PMTA pickup folder - located on another server location?

I obviously want everything to do delivered to PMTA, but looking it im not sure which one it's meant to be, nor how to reference a pickup folder on an external server to mailwizz.

any help would be fantastic!

It's the server where mailwizz will write the email and from where mdp-go will read the emails.
So, Mailwizz writes emails in the pickup folder, MDP reads them from there and sends them remotely to your PMTA.
Makes sense?

hey,

so i specify in the json file 'var/Pickup' for example

In the pickup server, in MW, i think in the instructions it's supposed to be specified as the same directory as in the json file?

7.Add a delivery server of type Directory Pickup in your Mailwizz APP and make sure the storage directory points to same storage directory as you have set at step 5

But i'm not sure how it knows where to remotely feed them into pmta on the external pmta server? Surely it needs to know the pickup directory there in that location. And i would have thought that would be specified in the pickup server?

thanks!

@Jason - You also have to add your PMTA details in your config.json file.
That's how it knows how to connect to your PMTA and deliver the emails from /var/pickup dirctory.

yeah IP and access details are all in there okay, just wondered about specifying the pickup directory for PMTA specifically in that file (not the MW save directory)

i'll give it a test!

Can you specify more than one server somehow in that file, or make a duplicate config.json file?

okay,

i have specified the folder, given it permissions in FTP, 777. and In creating the pickup server i am getting this error;

The directory "/home/admin/web/platform.xyz/public_html/pickup/" must exist and be writable by the web server process!

"StorageDirectory" : "/home/admin/web/platform.xyz/public_html/pickup/"

The entries match exactly, am i specifying the location wrong?

thanks

Do not put the pickup folder in a public location, why would you do that? :D
Put it at /home/admin/web/platform.xyz/pickup and double check it's permissions. If mailwizz says it is not writable, then it isn't.

ah i just did it to test and be able to access through FTP for permissions, but what i have realised i should have done was these commands;

chgrp apache /path/to/mydir
chmod g+w /path/to/mydir

- going to give it all a test now to see if emails get sent :p

ok, tried to run the daemon and i get this;

Testing delivery servers connectivity...
Checking XXX.XX.XXX.XXX(jas)... testing is not enabled.
New batch of 15 sets of regular campaigns.
New batch of 5 sets of autoresponder campaigns.
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): QUEUED.
Keeping smtp connection #1 open.
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): RETRY (1/3). Reason: unencrypted connection
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): RETRY (2/3). Reason: unencrypted connection
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): RETRY (3/3). Reason: unencrypted connection
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): GIVING UP (3/3). Reason: unencrypted connection
Message ID: (xxx@car.co -> XXXXX@gmx.com): FAILED with: unencrypted connection.
Locking connection #1
Connection #1 time diff is 22
Unlocking connection #1
Locking connection #1
Connection #1 time diff is 52
Unlocking connection #1

the new batch and locking / unlocking just kept looping until i copied this out.. Confused by this somewhat

the IP address at PMTA is correct and accepts connections from my MW IP address, port is correct along with SMTP details

any ideas?

edit - im wondering whether there is some other auth i need in my PMTA? I'm using the SMTP auth details listed in the PMTA config?

{
"Debug" : {
"Enabled" : true,
"Level" : 0
},
"DirectoryPickup" : {
"Workers" : 128,
"BufferSize" : 32,
"StorageDirectory" : "/home/admin/web/platform.xyz/pickup"
},
"DeliveryServers" : [
{
"Hostname" : "XXXXXXX8",
"Port" : 2525,
"Username" : "xxxx",
"Password" : "xxxxx",
"MaxConnections" : 10,
"MaxConnectionMessages" : 10,
"ConnectionTimeout" : 30,
"SendRetriesCount" : 3,
"TestConnection" : false,
"TestRecipientEmail" : ""
}
],
"Mailwizz" : [
{
"PhpCliBinaryPath" : "/usr/bin/php",
"ConsolePath" : "/home/admin/web/platform.xyz/public_html/apps/console/console.php",
"CommandName" : "send-campaigns",
"Campaigns" : [
{
"Type" : "regular",
"Processes" : 15,
"Limit" : 3,
"Offset" : 0,
"Pause" : 2
},
{
"Type" : "autoresponder",
"Processes" : 5,
"Limit" : 1,
"Offset" : 0,
"Pause" : 2
}
]
}
]
}

my json file for reference

yes just enabled it and got myself a stage further, now getting;

FAILED with: 454 4.3.5 unable to start TLS: no certificate configured.

so looking into creating one somehow, unless you know a quick cheat way?

update - just hit a huge stumbling block in creating a certificate, as in PMTA just won't read it. Is there anyway to get the MDP.GO daemon to use no tls or starttls?

-2nd update - hugely struggling to get round this, power mta does not want to play ball;

2015-10-19 13:01:20 Startup error: Error in line 63 of /etc/pmta/config: Error loading certificate /etc/pmta/domain.info.pem: SSL error: error reading private key: 140029944456960:error:0906D06C:pEM routines:pEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:696:Expecting: ANY PRIVATE KEY;

i cannot get around this. anyway to turn off TLS, mailwizz side? Must be able to set this in the json file?

Last edited:
i've troubleshooted what i can and no luck. Yes pmta can do plain auth.

do i need to specify this in the json file? If not i'll just try put it in the pmta config and see what happens

thanks

okay just done, i didnt get an error whilst trying to run the ./mdp-go command.

however at the moment after 10 minutes its looping these two lines over and over;

:S im guessing the daemon isn't running

upload_2015-10-20_9-55-15.png

I wonder if its because i haven't included any test details on the json file?

"TestConnection" : false,
"TestRecipientEmail" : ""

- update : i entered a test email and set testconnection to 'true'

it successfully fired a test email and I was able to validate my pickupserver;

Message ID: (xxxx@xxx.co -> sarah@xxxxxx.co.uk): QUEUED.
Message ID: (xxxxx@xxx.co -> sarah@xxxxx.co.uk): SUCCESS.
Locking connection #1
Connection #1 time diff is 29
Unlocking connection #1

i have now set the test connectiond etails to false and changed the json file. I guess i'll set the daemon int he background

---------------

-UPDATE 2, so i set the daemon, sent a test email and it appears to have sent successfully! Yay.

only issue i have noticed is that my return path email address is now the json config username and the hostname of the server?? But the correct return path is also present, so i have two return paths set there. How do i sort this?

Only other question at the moment, is what the server can handle in terms of volume? What should i start with? Unsure as to the exact behaviour i should expect.

Last edited:
only issue i have noticed is that my return path email address is now the json config username and the hostname of the server?? But the correct return path is also present, so i have two return paths set there. How do i sort this?
Not really sure how you'd end up with that. Which one is last in the headers list? because that's the one taken into consideration.

Only other question at the moment, is what the server can handle in terms of volume? What should i start with? Unsure as to the exact behaviour i should expect.
There's no def. answer but the "try and see how far you get" one.

Back